Official Review: The Slippery Slope of Consequences

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Lair of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 452
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Love, Sugar & Cookie by Susan Marie Chapman
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Official Review: The Slippery Slope of Consequences

Post by hsimone » 25 Oct 2018, 18:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Slippery Slope of Consequences" by Nati Carrillo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought how one action can lead to severe consequences? How about when it affects not only you, but your loved ones? The short suspense novel, The Slippery Slope of Consequences by Nati Carrillo, explores just that.

The Wee family in the town of Happy are fairly well-balanced. Mom and Dad work while their four teenagers go to school. Everyone has their own interests and yet they find time to spend together as a family. One ordinary day, the family goes to buy snacks for movie night. While in the store, teenager Follow finds something that catches his eye. Without giving much thought, he steals that item. Thus, begins the slippery slope of consequences for this family.

The overarching theme of one seemingly small action can lead to dire consequences is portrayed well. Follow did not consider what would happen if he stole and who would ultimately have to pay the price due to him being underage. Not only did it land someone in jail, but it ripped apart their whole family. It’s a theme that I feel strongly about and is extremely relatable to all.

Though fairly edited well, the writing in the text was lacking. The approach, “tell, not show”, led to choppiness and stiffness in both description and dialogue. It also forced the suspenseful aspects to be less than desirable. As a side note, the writing did switch from third-person to second-person as the author gave advice to potential readers.

Characters were one-dimensional and lacking in development. The author did give blanket descriptions of how old everyone was, their interests, and their progress as students and/or employees. However, the characterizations given seemed more of a checklist of traits rather than truly getting to know each character. Due to this, it was challenging to feel any semblance of remorse for the eventual outcomes of Follow’s one action.

There were a couple of plot holes presented within the text. I’m afraid being too specific might lead to spoilers, but, in general, the ending was lacking.

Considering the lack of development in both character and plot, the stiffness in the writing, and the lack of actual suspense, I rate The Slippery Slope of Consequences a 2 out of 4 stars. For those who don’t mind a short read with the writing style, “tell, not show”, may enjoy this one. However, for those who would rather connect with the characters more may want to explore another book.

The Slippery Slope of Consequences
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

Debjani Ghosh
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh » 27 Oct 2018, 00:46

I was intrigued by the premise of this novel. This had a lot of potential and deft handling of the subject matter could have resulted in a masterpiece. Sadly, this is not the case here. I am an advocate for the "show, not tell" approach and hence, will pass this one. Thanks for the review.

fredrick otieno
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno » 27 Oct 2018, 07:40

I like reading a book where characters are active and living, but when i am just told what they do, i may just get bored quickly. This is not the kind of book i would rush to read.

hsimone

Post by hsimone » 27 Oct 2018, 07:55

Debjani Ghosh wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 00:46
I was intrigued by the premise of this novel. This had a lot of potential and deft handling of the subject matter could have resulted in a masterpiece. Sadly, this is not the case here. I am an advocate for the "show, not tell" approach and hence, will pass this one. Thanks for the review.
The premise is definitely intriguing, but I also feel the "show, don't tell" writing style is the way to make readers feel and appreciate the characters, plot, and themes more. Thank you for your thoughts. :)

hsimone

Post by hsimone » 27 Oct 2018, 07:58

fredrick otieno wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 07:40
I like reading a book where characters are active and living, but when i am just told what they do, i may just get bored quickly. This is not the kind of book i would rush to read.
Yes, I agree with your thoughts. Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: In a Cottage In a Wood
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: The Suicide Project by Yazz Ustaris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 27 Oct 2018, 16:00

This is actually a very cool concept. The thought of a real-time butterfly effect is a great premise. And you're right, it is a theme that everyone can relate to. What a pity the plot and characters fell flat.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 27 Oct 2018, 22:09

I find the topic suggested by the title of this book to be a matter that I frequently ponder, and think it is an important concept for every human being to explore. It is a shame that the writing-style did not make for a comfortable read, as that is the main reason people read for pleasure. Thanks for a great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley » 29 Oct 2018, 09:08

It seems that this could be a good book for older children to understand that there are consequences to their actions. However, it's not written in such a way as to really be of use. It sounds like it needs a bit of reworking. Thanks for the review, but I'm skipping this one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 » 29 Oct 2018, 11:06

this book seems similar to the novels that we read in early classes.Brings back memories.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”