Official Review: Return to sender by Amir fathi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Return to sender by Amir fathi

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Return to sender" by Amir fathi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elvis Daniel’s parents named him after Elvis Presley. They also named his younger sister, Lisa Marie, after the Presley’s daughter. But the striking similarity between Mr. Daniels and Elvis Presley is that Daniels was born a little over half a century later on the exact same day and time as the musician. Though unlike Elvis, who rose to fame through his music, Daniels claim to fame was through the UFC fights encouraged by his Uncle Danny, a former professional boxer. In a strange twist of fate, Elvis Daniels and Elvis Presley’s worlds collide when a local reporter’s (John McCoy’s) increasing fixation with Elvis Presley’s death leads him to seek the Queen of Voodoo. Unfortunately, instead of receiving the answers to his questions, things go terribly wrong while summoning Elvis’s spirit. This unleashes untold chaos that results in several deaths. What will happen to the released spirit of Elvis Presley? Will the loved ones of those who died in the chaos ever learn what really happened to those they cared about?

Return to Sender by Amir Fathi is a work of fiction that follows the life of Jimmy, the first-person narrator, and his childhood best friend, Danny, and all those closely related to them, including friends. Readers get a look into the ups and downs of Elvis Daniels life, from birth up to the unleashing of Elvis Presley’s spirit into the physical world.

Although the book opens with the first-person narration, the story shifts from being told in first person to third person intermittently. The issue with this is that there isn’t a smooth nor a clear transition to indicate the shift in viewpoints. I noticed the constant change in narration when the first-person narrator, Jimmy, was suddenly being referred to in third person in the passages or when certain events of the story didn’t occur in his presence. It was a little confusing and seemed as though the author hadn’t decided on the type of narration to go with for the book. After reading the novel, I still was unable to understand why Jimmy had to be the first-person narrator because for a long while in the narrative, he wasn’t the main focus of the story.

For the most part in the beginning, it seemed that every chapter introduced different characters. At some point, this slowed down the pace of the story. Adding to that was the unnecessary and mundane details of the minor characters’ lives that followed. What’s worse is the plot suffered the same fate: there was a complete lack of focus, as the narrative seemed to jump from one place to another. And in attempting to blend multiple genres, the plot was stretched too thin, contributing to the already-dragging pace. On top of that, in some areas, the writing style leaned more toward telling than showing. When it came to the characters, I felt as though I was being told about them rather than getting to know who they were.

Even though there were good character descriptions, I felt that most of the characters lacked depth. While I could understand how some of the events in their lives impacted them, I couldn’t always figure out the motivations for their actions. A good example of this was with the character Heather, Elvis Daniels’ mother. At first, I sympathized with her predicament, but what she did next shocked me. I couldn’t comprehend why she did what she did. This made her one of the most unlikable characters in the book for me.

There were a few inconsistencies that I encountered. Earlier in the story, one of the characters is said to be an ambulance driver. Later on, when it’s convenient for the story, the character is said to have been a makeup artist for a theater in Memphis. Another character says that he and his love interest broke up after almost nineteen years but later nods to having shared fifteen years with her. These little discrepancies took me out of the story. In addition, the number of errors found indicated that the book needed additional editing. Some of these errors include typos, missing words, and missing punctuation marks.

The head-hopping and the issues discussed above leave me no choice but to rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it 1 star because there were bits of the narrative that appeared to be well-written, and even though the plot lacked focus, there were parts of the story that held my attention. This read is suitable for a mature audience, as it contains detailed descriptions of violence. Despite the rating, I still feel that the author should revise the novel before I can recommend it. However, I’d only recommend this book if the summary interests you and you can overlook the flaws mentioned for a dose of the crime, the drama, and supernatural elements this book has to offer.

Return to sender
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Hhmmm, this book sounds like a lot of reading and little reward. Thanks for this review, and I'll give this one a miss.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Sounds like a book with great potential, but the inconsistency in between read is very discouraging. I'll pass on this one.
Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This all sounds very chaotic. Perhaps too much hard work for a leisurely read. I think I'll give it a miss. Thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure the premise of the story is something that really strikes me. The characters don't seem well developed enough to overcome that. I dislike when the author overwhelms the reader with characters, though I'm sure there is a good reason for it. I'll pass on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review. It sounds chaotic and a plot that lacks focus is not for me!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I'm a Elvis fan, but I think I'll pass. Thank you for the honest review!
:tiphat:
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Nice review. I'm still exploring this site. You give me an idea in writing such review. Thanks :tiphat:
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I would have read this since it is my type of novel,but it seems that it was under developed and so i might not gain much from it. Thanks for the review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

What a quirky, unique premise! I was into it until the POV issues, discrepancies, and slow plot. Thanks for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

The actual plot itself seems interesting but I can understand why these tiny discrepancies really ruined it for you especially when you said that the narrative style changed constantly which is an important part of any written work. Thank you for the review!
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

If not for the inconsistencies that you mentioned this would have made for a very good read. I love the plot twist, it is indeed unique in a way. Thanks for the review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”