Official Review: Who Is Johnny Pistolseed by Larry Kaiser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: Who Is Johnny Pistolseed by Larry Kaiser

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Is Johnny Pistolseed" by Larry Kaiser.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How does one make sense of all the violence that happens in society today? How does one reconcile conflict between racial discrimination and justice? Can a "just society" make mistakes? Are all the mistakes made actually "mistakes?" Or can there be wrong intentions added to the mix? It is certain that people, in general, are not infallible. In writing Who is Johnny Pistolseed, Larry Kaiser seeks to prove (or at least present as viable) a theory of deep conspiracy that allows racist police officers to commit horrendous crimes and walk away unscathed by the justice system.

Set in a small community in Indiana, a complex series of events is triggered when Billy, a boy of American Indian heritage, is tragically shot and killed by a member of the police force. The author gives the reader an eye-witness account of the incident, providing the knowledge that the officer shot a non-threatening and unarmed teenager. The officer who pulled the trigger was wearing a makeshift body cam, giving official investigators a video to work from when determining guilt or innocence on the part of the officer. This video is withheld from the media, and thus from the public. The two officers on duty are the only actual witnesses, and they are not saying anything. It is up to the boy's friends to prove that it is not only possible for the video to be doctored, but it is probable.

Meanwhile, the town's official leader is recruiting a few friends in an attempt to fight a "good old boys" system and clean up the town. On occasion, the two main plots converge, but I felt that the complexity was mainly provided in order to provide believable backdrop to the conspiracy theory as well as to lengthen the overall story.

I picked this particular book because I am personally fascinated by conspiracy theories and politics. If you are not interested in extreme possibilities of oppression or political scheming, this book may not be for you. If you are interested in a good story line, regardless of the potential "truth" the book may contain, you may still find this to be a good read. However, it took me a while to actually be drawn into the plot. The first chapters are backstory and necessary for the believability of the book as a whole. However, the beginning felt a bit disjointed and choppy to me. After I was safely past the preliminary sections, I began to be more and more interested in the story and eventually reached the point where it was difficult to put down. Without giving any spoilers, I will just say that the ending was nothing that I had anticipated. From a literary standpoint, I greatly appreciated the twist!

The author succeeded in simultaneously drawing bigger than life characters AND developing them in a way that made them feel realistic. The main cast includes the father of the boy who died, a political artist, the owner of a salvage yard, town mayor, and a teenage genius. I felt the editing should have been a lot cleaner, particularly in punctuation, as I felt that commas were thrown about with complete abandon. Regarding objectionable elements that someone may want to know about, some of the characters use vulgarity in their thoughts and words. This does work, due to realistic character painting, but some might find it offensive.

The premise put forth by Who is Johnny Pistolseed is decidedly intriguing; however, I was not persuaded one way or the other regarding the veracity of the theories. Due to a lack of understanding, I sort of skimmed over the technical explanations of whether or not it is possible to do the kind of video editing required to clear cops of murder accusations. I did find it ironic that the technical details designed to prove the conspiracy were the parts that I didn't quite comprehend. Since I enjoyed this novel, but found the beginning to be confusing and the editing to be sloppy, I give it an overall rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Who Is Johnny Pistolseed
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The technical details might be a bit much for me as well, but I've recently become interested in conspiracy theories. I think this is one I would enjoy reading, but I have no doubt that it would anger me. Thanks for another fabulous review. This one is going on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 08:26 The technical details might be a bit much for me as well, but I've recently become interested in conspiracy theories. I think this is one I would enjoy reading, but I have no doubt that it would anger me. Thanks for another fabulous review. This one is going on my list.
Thanks :oops: If this book's premise is actually true, it is very angering indeed. :o
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

It has been long since i read conspiracy theory novels, But this review makes me want to grab this one. I love the creativity of the writer and he has done a good job, especial on a critical issue in our society like police shootings. There is no doubt i would enjoy this book.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The writer has done a thorough job with the book's premise. The conspiracy theory and the plot of this book seem to have justified its premise; howe'er, I feel this book can be made into a movie to reach a larger audience. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
greenstripedgiraffe

T_stone wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 05:49 The writer has done a thorough job with the book's premise. The conspiracy theory and the plot of this book seem to have justified its premise; howe'er, I feel this book can be made into a movie to reach a larger audience. Thanks for the review.
Hey, I think it would be a great movie also! Maybe one of those cases where the movie is better than the book - not sure :?:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

The author does not seem to have spared much thought to the book cover which can be, at best, described as childish.
I did find it ironic that the technical details designed to prove the conspiracy were the parts that I didn't quite comprehend.
I like reading conspiracy theories but this will deter me from picking it up. Thanks for the review.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

"People, in General, are not infallible." I definitely like conspiracy theories which draws to reading this book with an intriguing premise. Nice review.
Jmees_9611
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Tell Me Your Dreams
Currently Reading: Enlightened
Bookshelf Size: 47
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Jmees_9611 »

You really can never judge a book by its cover. Reading your review caught my interest with "Who si Johnny Pistolseed".. With conspiracy theory its quite entertaining for me.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

The author chose a very sensitive topic that is bound to stir up emotions, be it theory or not. I like the detailed description in the review, you left nothing out and really went out of your way to paint a perfect picture. Thanks
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Nice review. your inroduction really did got to me. This book will be a great read. Nice one
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”