Review by Ehartl -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Ehartl -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders, written by Brian O’Hare, is the second book in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries and is a fast-paced suspense thriller that I could not put down. The story follows not only Chief Inspector James Sheehan and team, but also newcomer Sergeant Denise Stewart. Newly transferred to Sheehan’s team, Stewart has a chance to prove herself when she is given the opportunity to track down a deranged killer who has left a series of brutal murders in his wake. Tracking down dangerous leads, Stewart finds herself in the killer’s sights and must work with her new team to find a solution before it’s too late.

This book is well-written and exceptionally executed. Every element introduced into the story has a purpose that successfully moves the complicated plot forward in a way that kept me guessing at every turn. What I find most fun about the book is that O’Hare allows the reader to deduce who the killer is along with Sheehan before a name is actually given. The narrative also contains several subplots that are intricately woven into the main thread of the story. Even though it may seem otherwise, all of these subplots are relevant to the conclusion of the story. The narrative is complicated, but it never gets confusing, which is a testament to O’Hare’s skills as a writer.

The characters are the best part of the book. Every character introduced has their own story and their own motives. The reader learns much about them through each character’s interactions with the other characters instead of with long paragraphs or pages of exposition. This makes the flow of the narrative more natural, like the reader is part of Sheehan’s team rather than an outside observer.

There is not much in the way of negative points regarding this book. At times, the pacing did slow to the point where I wished it would pick up again, but it was not slow enough to stop reading. Also, the story is set in Ireland and it would have been nice to see a bit more of the scenery to get a better feel for the country. These are very minor issues that do not detract from the narrative as a whole, just personal preferences.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book is exceptionally written and succeeds in being a true page-turner. The plot is intricate but not confusing, the characters are multi-dimensional, and the surprises work well. Aside from the occasional slow pacing and wanting more setting imagery, there is no real fault with this book. Although this book would not appeal to those who dislike violence, I would definitely recommend The 11:05 Murders to anyone who loves a good story, and especially to fans of the suspense/thriller genre.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Ehartl's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”