Review by TuyetMai -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Review by TuyetMai -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Mai Tran »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What comes after death? For Sharon Backovic, the answer would be an unexpected journey of finding self-worth and love. By some twists of fate, Sharon woke up and escaped from her own coffin just before the funeral. She was shocked to discover she might have died and turned into a zombie, but that was just one of her many newfound problems. None of her friends and relatives, including her boyfriend, came to her funeral. Sharon was confused and all alone with no place to return. She was also very hungry, but zombies were supposed to kill people and eat their brains, while Sharon was strictly vegan and treasured all life forms. Sharon then had to explore life in ways she had never done before, which led her to meet people who truly valued her for who (or what) she was.

When I picked up Undead Redhead, I had expected it to be somewhat gruesome and violent judging by the C/T/M/H genre and the book cover. It turned out to be more of a lighthearted romance novel, which was a pleasant surprise. The story was absolutely fascinating and engaging. The shifts in point of view were skillfully used to tell the story from different perspectives. Although it was hard to connect all the different narratives at first, eventually I could see the bigger picture as the story progressed.

Incidentally, Frankel’s writing style had the same tongue-in-cheek humor that I really loved in one of my favorite authors. Her witty puns gave the book a lighter tone without being dismissive of what Sharon was going through. I also enjoyed the way snippets of conversations on social media were utilized to tell the story without saying too much. I didn’t mind that they were written in slang and abbreviated language because there were only a few of these short conversations.

Also, the author did a fantastic job of bringing the characters to life. They all had unique personalities. Sharon was a zombie after my own heart. I admired her positive and relentless attitude, always trying to make the best of her situations. I was glad when she finally met people who truly cared for her.

Overall, Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel is an entertaining and uplifting self-discovery story with elements of romance and a unique vegan zombie twist. Frankel has an engaging writing style and a light, humorous tone. The characters are believable and well-rounded. For these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. People who like to read stories about social-emotional and character development should check out this book. Although the book isn’t gruesome or scary in any way, reading about a mildly rotting zombie can be a bit gross. I wouldn’t suggest this book to anyone with a queasy stomach.

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TuyetMai's review? Post a comment saying so!
firstlook
Currently Reading: The Beautiful and Damned
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firstlook.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by firstlook »

A light-hearted romance novel is just what I need. The book seems fun and well-written with distinctive characters. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”