Official Review: The Banshees by Anthony Land

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: The Banshees by Anthony Land

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Banshees" by Anthony Land.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if the person who molested you as a child got away scot-free? Would you forgive him and move on? Or would you take justice into your own hands? This dilemma is the focal point of The Banshees by Anthony Land. Driven by the festering rage from their abuse, Nika and Alanna become the masterminds behind a plot to eliminate child rapists from the world once and for all. The two women hold clandestine meetings with the victims of a specific child rapist. The victims have four options: 1) murder, 2) blackmail, 3) public humiliation, or 4) no action. Will they be able to keep their operation a secret? Or will their brand of justice be foiled?

The moral dilemma raised in The Banshees captivated me. While I don’t condone violence, it was hard for me to sympathize with the rapists when they finally met their demise. Deciding which option was better, forgiveness or vengeance, was impossible. The murder plots were also intricately crafted. This made me admire the intelligence of Nika, Alanna, and the victims they recruited. The romantic relationship between Nika and Alanna was well-written. It was nice how the author did not rely on clichés to develop their relationship. The message of supporting abuse victims was positive and resonated with me.

In terms of faults, I felt that too much focus was placed on the police investigations surrounding the murders. While it was exhilarating to wait and see if the case would be solved, I would have liked to have learned more about the sexual assault victims. Additionally, some plot points and characters felt underdeveloped or forgotten. For instance, the beginning of the book focuses on the victims who were raped by a priest. I was drawn in by the nerve-wracking scene where they abandoned him in the desert. However, I was disappointed to find that they were barely mentioned for the rest of the book. The book switched between plots and perspectives constantly, making it difficult to get settled into the story. I also would have enjoyed having seen more character development in Nika and Alanna. Their quest for vengeance remained unwavering and neither of them experienced much character growth.

While I enjoyed the book, The Banshees contained a sizable amount of errors. They did not detract from my enjoyment of the book, but these errors indicated that the novel has not yet undergone professional editing. The most common errors I noted involved missing punctation marks and incomplete words. For example, the word “the” was cut off and written as “th”.

I rate The Banshees 3 out of 4 stars. I thought that the novel brought up a thought-provoking debate on the treatment of rapists and their victims. Land’s writing allowed me to deeply empathize with the victims’ trauma. However, the typographical errors and shifting plot focus prevents me from giving the book a higher rating. I would recommend the novel to readers who are interested in learning more about the plight of rape victims. The book is ill-suited for readers who are easily disturbed by mentions of rape and graphic violence.

The Banshees
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

Congrats on the review! This sounds quite interesting. I recently reviewed a book (Heartaches 2) with rape as its main conflict a while ago as well. I found that it isn't always easy to write about sensitive issues like these and I'm wondering how well this book will hold up in that regard. Can't wait to read it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh my. This sounds emotional and extremely thought-provoking. I'm interested to see how the author deals with these subjects, but I'm not sure I could handle the darkness. Thanks for the review. I'll give it some thought.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Writing on sensitive issues like child molestation and rape, a writer will have ti be very careful. I think I'll find the demise of the rapist to be satisfying. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This book promises an emotional roller-coaster ride but I won't be picking it up since it is too dark for me. You have done a great job on the review succinctly listing out the pros and cons of the book. Thanks!
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

Thanks for your great review. It made me want to read the book and I will soon do this!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

This is a really a timely subject since almost every day you hear something on the news about it. A book contemplating retaliation for the rapists is compelling but a little too sensitive a topic for me. Thanks for your review.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I enjoy such emotional books especially if it is covering something that affects many in the contemporary society. Thanks for the good review.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Excellent review. Not sure I could handle the more triggering aspects of the book, so I'll probably pass on this one even though the plotline seemed intriguing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”