Official Review: Searching For Shetani by J.D. Chaney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Searching For Shetani by J.D. Chaney

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Searching For Shetani" by J.D. Chaney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Searching for Shetani by J.D. Chaney is an action-packed thrilling story that presents the lives of Maasai warriors as they hunt down a killer lion.

In the village of Nandu, in the Kenyan grasslands, a lion lurks and watches its prey closely. Shetani is a male lion whose eyes are on the domesticated animals of the Maasai sometimes becoming a man-eater if the opportunity arises. The “Morans” (Maasai warriors) strategize on how to overcome the beast. Emeke is selected to go after the man-eater and prove himself as a warrior of the tribe. The journey proves to be perilous with the pounding rain, little food and water and the unforgiving terrain but Emeke heart is set on the mission and nothing will stop him. When he comes face to face with the beast he realizes that nothing would have prepared him enough for this jolting event.

Searching for Shetani is full of suspenseful moments. There is no climax in the book as every page brings along an unexpected trail of events. The lion is dismaying and the warriors are relentless. It becomes a difficult task to imagine the outcome. The terror that the lion cause even in the surrounding villages makes the story even more captivating as the end of this man-eater is eagerly anticipated. Emeke, Naaku and Jamala are great main characters as they heighten the action in the story. Their ability to overcome the obstacles placed in front of them for the sake of their community is admirable. The author also paints the lion as the formidable creature it actually is.

I also liked that the book gives a glimpse into the culture of the Maasai from their dressing to their cuisine and traditions. This gives the story a unique flavor that makes it more interesting. The author describes the Maasai’s lifestyle and uses some past traditions to create the story which shows that they carefully researched the community’s traditions before writing the book. The terrain in which the story is set also depicts the traditional, in some cases, current dwelling locations of the community.

The book contains a number of grammatical errors that were a bit distracting. Some names spellings are changed as the story moves along. Some sentence construction issues are also noticeable. Still, Searching for Shetani by J.D. Chaney is a captivating book that readers interested in the Maasai’s way of life will appreciate. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Searching For Shetani
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

The book sounds to be my favourite books. I'll add it on my list
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

There seem to be no consistencies in the names of the characters and the grammatical errors will definitely discourage me from reading this one. Although it has a unique story, I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The culture of the Maasai sounds interesting. I'm sure it would be way different from our own. I'm just not sure hunting down a lion is something I'm really into. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Baraka Bomani
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Baraka Bomani »

Its actually one of the interesting books I have come across.
I think I'll add it to my list
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

This book sounds really interesting. It would provide a change of mood. It's going to be great read for me.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

The Maasai culture sounds very intriguing, but this doesn't sound like a book I'd want to read. I'm not really into books about hunting down animals, no matter how suspenseful. Thanks for the read and review though!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”