Official Review: Emergence: Luctor et Emergo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Emergence: Luctor et Emergo

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emergence: Luctor et Emergo" by Kristopher Driver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Emergence: Luctor et Emergo by Kristopher Driver is the captivating story of Justin, a Canadian teenager of extraordinary intelligence trying to survive in the low-income area of town. Armed without a father, a drug-addled mother, and a high school that feels him an inconvenience, Justin is struggling to understand how to thrive without the resources that others get while growing up. His superior intellect is both a blessing and a curse. Justin's internal struggle to decide whether or not to resort to crime to gain a better life is the main subject of the book, with his friends and family providing comfort and a main reason for the bad choices.

Justin is provided an opportunity to attend a technical school to gain his computer technician certificate simultaneously alongside his high school diploma, and he jumps at the chance. A series of terrible choices made along with school work together in a weird way, providing Justin the stability to eventually become a successful adult. Will he continue to make bad choices? Will his luck run out? Will his mother stop forcing him to make these choices? Only time will tell in this stunning book.

This book is incredible. It is the best book I've read this year. Justin is such an enigma as the main character, and his faults make me sympathize with him. The author does an outstanding job writing from Justin's perspective, using difficult words to get the point across that he is extremely intelligent. As we get to know the main character more and as he deals with specific experiences that show him that he is not the most intelligent human being on the planet, the author models this in the simpler word choices. I find myself simultaneously rooting for Justin to both succeed and also get caught for his poor decisions, walking this tightrope of realistic situations.

The author also does an amazing job providing wonderful imagery to set a background for the story. I visualized myself there in Justin's neighborhood, imaging the muted tones of run-down houses, neglected parks, and shoddy schools. My heart breaks for Justin's mom as she struggles so much to provide for her son and daughter, and resorting to drugs and alcohol when she cannot. Justin commits one of the worst sins you can imagine, but the author somehow portrays it that I understood why he did it and did not judge him negatively for it.

I give Emergence: Luctor et Emergo 4 out of 4 stars for its smooth writing flow, superb imagery, and excellent characters. I recommend this book for any mature reader looking for a realistic storyline about a character with deep flaws but a sincere heart.

Emergence: Luctor et Emergo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Good review!
Justin commits one of the worst sins you can imagine, but the author somehow portrays it that I understood why he did it and did not judge him negatively for it.
So you empathize with Justin despite the fact that he committed a crime. I will have to check out this one to see for myself if I come to care for Justin with as much gusto as you did.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book sounds riveting and just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Your review makes me very interested in this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Thank you!
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

The review is amazing. Attracts the reader into reading the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”