Official Review: Secrets of a Ghosts Diary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Secrets of a Ghosts Diary

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secrets of a Ghosts Diary" by Dawn Marie Clifton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Would you spend the summer solving an ancient mystery? In the children’s mystery story, Secrets of a Ghost’s Diary by Dawn Marie Clifton, three friends are determined to uncover the secrets of a ghost that haunts the lighthouse on St. Simons Island. They sneak into the lighthouse one night and find the ghost’s diary. Carson, Emma, and Levi begin studying the written entries. When the last page of the diary is stolen, the trio learns why the ghost of Minnie Mae Murphy is haunting the lighthouse. Dangerous times lie ahead as the children realize that they are not the only ones who want to uncover the ghost’s secrets. The ghost herself also has a secret surprise for them, one which will reveal their true destiny and life mission.

The premise of this book was both fun and captivating. There were a lot of surprises, twists, and turns throughout the story. There was never a dull moment in the lives of Carson, Levi, and Emma. Some chapters ended on a cliffhanger such as when Carson and Emma were locked outside on the lighthouse balcony during bad weather. The last sentence of this chapter was, “The lighthouse balcony that Carson loved so much had become an edge of death.” This made the book extremely riveting and I found myself being sucked into the story, wanting to know what would happen next.

Another thing which I liked about this book was the characters. Each character in the story had a distinct appearance and a unique personality trait. For example, Levi was described as a very intelligent person due to his photographic memory. In addition to this, he wore his hair in a particular style. Emma was described as geeky and she wore glasses. She also had a habit of tying her hair in a ponytail when she was serious about something. There was also a character who dressed like a cowboy, and another one who spoke Nigerian. One character spoke in a sickeningly sweet voice and had “eyes that matched the blueberries on the kitchen table.” These characteristics made it easy for me to remember each character and decide whether I liked or disliked them. This also gave me a mental picture of each of them. Good characterization is an important feature in any children’s book because it stimulates the imagination.

The best thing about this mystery story was that it was unpredictable. I could not guess who the villain was until the end. Furthermore, there was a huge surprise at the end, which I did not anticipate. The surprise also added a sci-fi edge to the story. Because of its unpredictability, I think that this book will become a favorite for any child who reads it.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. I only found one error where an article was missing in a sentence. I am pleased to rate this delightful book 4 out of 4 stars for its riveting and unpredictable storyline as well as its fascinating characters. This book is perfect for children aged 9-12. Older mystery fans will also enjoy it.

Secrets of a Ghosts Diary
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This sounds like an interesting children's book, I would like to read this one to my younger brother. Great review btw!
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

Forget children, this plot sounds like something I'd enjoy! :lol2: But in all honesty, it does sound like a great book for kids, the way the characters are described would make it easier to imagine them. Thanks for the great review!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think this book sounds enjoyable and would be a good read for my son. I think I would enjoy that there is twists in it. The characters sound well developed and easy likable.
Mac :techie-reference:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book reminds me of the Famous five and Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton. I loved these as a child and read them many times, then passed the books on to my kids. Stories in this genre are great in encouraging a reluctant child to read for themselves as they get 'hooked' and have to persevere to the end to find out what happens. A climactic ending also makes the book memorable. Great review and thank you!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 18:26 This book reminds me of the Famous five and Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton. I loved these as a child and read them many times, then passed the books on to my kids. Stories in this genre are great in encouraging a reluctant child to read for themselves as they get 'hooked' and have to persevere to the end to find out what happens. A climactic ending also makes the book memorable. Great review and thank you!
Hey, thanks for commenting :) I read both the Famous Five and Secret 7 series as a child! I love Enid Blyton. You are absolutely correct that these type of stories encourage children to read. I hope the author writes more kids' mystery books because she is really good at it.
Missimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Missimi »

This book is not just for kids, The characters are little bit immense.
Nice review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love stories about ghosts and the fact that you couldn't predict the identity of the villain and there is another surprise at the end makes this book particularly intriguing. I think I would definitely like to read this one.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I like the unique premise of the ghost keeping a diary. While I get creeped out by ghosts in book, this story doesn't seem too scary. Off to read the sample!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

bookowlie wrote: 12 Oct 2018, 16:00 Nice review! I like the unique premise of the ghost keeping a diary. While I get creeped out by ghosts in book, this story doesn't seem too scary. Off to read the sample!
Thanks! The ghost was not scary at all :)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am intrigued to find out the secret surprise that the ghost had for the children. Thanks for the review!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Thank you for your great review! I study children's/adolescent/young adult literature and I am always looking for lesser-known books to incorporate into my research and classes. I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR list!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”