Official Review: Caught in a Web by Joseph Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Caught in a Web by Joseph Lewis

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caught in a Web" by Joseph Lewis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The police have the bodies of three dead high school students in the morgue. The killer discarded their bodies on the street. Now, the cops found the body of a middle school student. The common cause of death was an overdose from a heroin bundle. How are teenagers acquiring this new drug? What role do the MS-13 gang members play in these crimes?

Jeremy Evans is a high school counselor. He is raising three adopted boys. How could this close-knit family have any connection with MS-13? Can Jeremy keep his boys safe?

Caught in a Web, by Joseph Lewis is a novel that follows two storylines. These two narratives eventually intertwine in a masterful way. The first deals with the family. Jeremy is about to adopt more children. The second narrative reveals how illegal drugs are impacting the schools and the family.

Character development in this book is phenomenal. The author takes the time to give the main characters a great deal of depth. Jeremy’s adopted boys have emotional difficulties. We learn what happened in their past to cause these problems.

Lewis develops the character of George with special care. He is a full-blooded Navajo teenager and is one of Jeremy’s adopted sons. The author presents specific details about Navajo traditions and beliefs. Lewis does an excellent job of integrating Navajo culture into the story.

The cities of Waukesha and Milwaukee, WI, are an ideal setting for this story. The author demonstrates a thorough knowledge of the area. He identifies the drug and gun running corridor extending from Chicago to upper Wisconsin. It would be helpful to include a map of the 1-94 and I-43 corridors. People who are not from Wisconsin may not be familiar with cities such as Kenosha or Sturgeon Bay. His description of how drugs have infiltrated the educational institutions is also quite accurate.

The book consists of one hundred and four chapters. Each chapter is short and concise. I thought this kept the story moving. Every section delivers specific details. The dialogues also reflect the speech and themes particular to teenage boys and gang members.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Personally, the only drawback of the book was the grammar mistakes. The plot and the writing style intrigued me. The revelation of the suppliers was surprising and infuriating. Jeremy’s family values motivate and inspire. I would recommend this book to all high school counselors and teachers. Parents of teens and pre-teens could learn about gangs, drug use, and drug slang from this book. People who prefer mystery and suspense would enjoy this story. Readers are warned that the book does contain graphic violence and some sexual scenes.

Caught in a Web
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Nice review. I like that this book shows the effects of the drug war and gangs on our schools and families. It is an important thing for us to discuss with our children. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

1ditzyrn wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 09:50 Nice review. I like that this book shows the effects of the drug war and gangs on our schools and families. It is an important thing for us to discuss with our children. Thanks for the review!
This author really hit this topic head on. The descriptions and effects on the family are very well described. It's only sad that so much of this is happening all around us!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

LOVE a book with good character development. And ones with shorter chapters, too. This sounds like a very interesting story - a pity about the errors.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 14:21 LOVE a book with good character development. And ones with shorter chapters, too. This sounds like a very interesting story - a pity about the errors.
Great review!
I really wanted to give this book 4 - It really deserves it. This book really moved me. The short chapters were great. Hope you enjoy it too.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

The topic of this book is so current so that has already grabbed me but from your review, it sounds like the issues are well handled, the story is well thought out and the writing style carries well.

I'm hoping the author takes note of the errors you picked out and corrects them before I pick up the book because aside from that, it sounds like a perfect read.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

At first I wasn't sure if I would like this book but the character development and how the stories intertwine is a good selling point. I'm a huge fan of real characters and their interactions and growth. The attention to detail when it comes to Navajo traditions and gang life are also commendable.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

1ditzyrn wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 09:50 Nice review. I like that this book shows the effects of the drug war and gangs on our schools and families. It is an important thing for us to discuss with our children. Thanks for the review!
This book does a good job of showing the reality this societal problem. Thanks for reading.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 16:43 The topic of this book is so current so that has already grabbed me but from your review, it sounds like the issues are well handled, the story is well thought out and the writing style carries well.

I'm hoping the author takes note of the errors you picked out and corrects them before I pick up the book because aside from that, it sounds like a perfect read.
Hope you enjoy it. I give this author high praise for his writing style and for his accurate portrayal of drugs in the schools.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 17:32 At first I wasn't sure if I would like this book but the character development and how the stories intertwine is a good selling point. I'm a huge fan of real characters and their interactions and growth. The attention to detail when it comes to Navajo traditions and gang life are also commendable.
Hope you enjoy this well-written book. I found it to be both interesting and educational.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

104 chapters? That's a lot for me! I am glad you enjoyed reading this book though. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 22:39 104 chapters? That's a lot for me! I am glad you enjoyed reading this book though. Thanks for the review.
Not so! Each chapter is only one or two pages long. I thought it was refreshing and it makes you feel like you are breezing along in the book. You can read ten chapters in a few minutes!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the mistakes, but it sounds like a subject that we need to deal with more. Drugs are a huge impact to our society. Plus, it's great when it can be done in a fun and enjoyable way as well. Thanks for the review on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 08:15 It's too bad about the mistakes, but it sounds like a subject that we need to deal with more. Drugs are a huge impact to our society. Plus, it's great when it can be done in a fun and enjoyable way as well. Thanks for the review on this one.
The author really did an excellent job with this book. He worked in schools for many years, so he has first-hand knowledge on the subject. The mistakes were annoying, but the writing style more than made up for it!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

You mention being intrigued by the author's writing style. Its so refreshing to find a writer who can put across his message in a different form, and its mostly for that reason that I would like to take a closer look at this book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”