Official Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Official Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge

Post by DustinPBrown »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Never Water Under the Bridge" by Rianne Moss.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Plot wise, It's Never Water Under the Bridge is straightforward. We open on Tess Iverson receiving a strange note related to her husband's disappearance some five years prior. She gets in contact with the police while we see Andrew in his prison, held captive by three men who won't answer any of his questions or give any reason for why they've kidnapped and tortured him all this time. The story follows the two as they each search for answers and try to make sense of this tragic event.

The book has some truly tense moments which will bring any reader to their seat's edge. There's always a sense that these characters are just barely hanging in there, which makes for suspenseful meetings with old friends and Andrew's captors. Neither character can truly trust anyone outside of each other. Tess can't even trust the police anymore, which injects fear for Tess's safety into every phone call with an officer.

My problems with this book are two-fold. The first and biggest problem was the ending. The novel builds and builds to answering one question: why was Andrew kidnapped? The answer, unfortunately, did not satisfy this reader's inner detective. I suppose I expected a twist, or at least a deeper reason than the one given. As is, the reveal left me distinctly disappointed.

Secondly, Tess and Andrew love each other very much and we're told as such at nearly every opportunity. I have nothing against love (love it, in fact), but every spare thought Tess and Andrew have is inevitably about how fantastic their partner is, even when they're literally waving weapons in each other's faces. Our protagonists, then, felt hollow, as if the only thing that defines them is their spouse. I would have loved to have seen more from these characters, especially with the trauma they've experienced. There's a lot to explore, but I was left with the impression that book mainly focuses on how it affects their relationship and little else.

It's a pretty good book, in the end. I think most casual fans of the genre will be more forgiving of its faults than I am. After all, its suspenseful moments are truly suspenseful, which makes for a quick, exciting read. Typos are just about non-existent, and the realistic dialog adds to the book's strengths. Still, I give it 2 out of 4 stars, largely for the ending.

It's Never Water Under the Bridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DustinPBrown's review? Post a comment saying so!
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I demand more of a couple so this is one love story I may have to swerve. I recently read a novel where the couple were utterly codependent on each other and it just becomes hard to read after a while because you want to read real people.

It sounds like a rather pleasant book for someone that doesn't want to be pushed to read between the lines.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

That's too bad that the ending is disappointing. I'm a huge reader and fan of this genre and love the wild unexpected twists and turns that come with it. Sadly in this case as in real life someone's reason for crimes and horrible acts against each other rarely have a satisfying answer.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sounds like the author knew how to write a suspenseful story but didn't know how to properly flesh out the characters. It's a shame when that happens.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A great plot with poor character development leaves the reader disappointed. I love your reference to the “inner detective.” Thanks for your honest appraisal of this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's a shame that despite the good suspense building prowess, the author is unable to develop the plot more appealingly! Must have been an upward task for you getting through the book. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if the tension builds up a lot in this book but sadly it doesn't deliver. I liked your line about "loving love" but yes, an overly codependent couple doesn't make for a good story. Great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Experiencing tragedies in real life is not as easy as merely reading through in a book. I admire those people who have experienced a lot and have made it through; I also often wonder how they ever did. It seems like love made that difference for the protagonists in this piece. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like the book had some good elements of suspense, distrust, and mystery, but that the author may not have gone as deep as he needed to express the plot, characters, and the reason for the kidnapping.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review! I think you justified your rating, and also I appreciate the pros and cons so well thought out and explained. Sounds like it had the potential to be more though. Again, great review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I don't understand why, but I somehow thought this one to be a self-help book from the title. After reading your review I realized the mistake. As a fan of this genre, this book should appeal to me, but the negative points you mentioned make me hesitant to take up this one. Thanks for the candid review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”