Official Review: Monsterland by Michael Okon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Monsterland by Michael Okon

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monsterland" by Michael Okon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a contest between vampires, werewolves, and zombies, who do YOU think would win? Such is the question that Wyatt, Melvin, Howard Drucker (always referred to by both names), and Sean have been arguing over for years, though Wyatt is tiring of the same old thing. In Michael Okon's book, Monsterland, this question is finally answered when the aforementioned four teenagers go to the opening of a theme park sharing the name of the book.

Even though he's tired of the years-long discussion, 17-year-old Wyatt Baldwin - no relation to Alec, as we're reminded time and again - welcomes the opportunity to visit the amusement park on its opening night with his pals, Howard Drucker and Melvin, and his younger brother, Sean. He's also hoping to spend time with his crush, Jade, even though she'll be going with her bully boyfriend, Nolan. Wyatt is sure that they'll all be safe from the vamps, wolves, and zombies inhabiting the park because he greatly admires the creator of the park, Dr. Vincent Konrad, whom he believes to be a benevolent citizen looking out for what's best for the world. Wyatt's stepfather, Carter White, isn't so sure of Vincent's altruism, so it's a good thing that he's also going as a part of his job as a member of the Copper Valley Police Force.

With a set up like this, what could possibly go wrong? Aside from total chaos, murder, and mayhem, not a thing! I found Monsterland to be rollicking fun with a major shot of violence to sober the young protagonists who find that it's not all fun and games when dealing with such creatures. The author perfectly blended suspense and action with a nice dollop of humor on top. Even though this book is clearly a work of fiction, I was completely able to suspend my disbelief and worry about what would happen next. In the same vein, I could fully picture the park as a real place...provided the monsters therein were real. From the Werewolf River Run to The Abracadavers rocking out at the Nightmare Arena, I felt like I was right there, 'oohing and aahing' while taking in all of the sights, not to mention running from the hungry werewolves and zombies.

The teens in this tome were fairly realistic, if a bit stereotypical. Wyatt and Sean's relationship in particular illustrated sibling rivalry pretty well but also underscored the love that's there between brothers. Jade was a nice enough love interest, stuck in an undesirable relationship with a bully who didn't want to let her go. My favorite duo, however, were Howard Drucker and Keisha; they clearly liked each other, but Howard had trouble closing the deal even though it was clear that Keisha liked him back. I had the most trouble sympathizing with Melvin, as I didn't feel like I got to know him as well as I did the others. I will say that when he made a major decision about midway through the book, I expected more of a reaction from his friends, who took it all in stride and were way more nonchalant than I would have been!

As a big fan of stories involving any and all of the creatures noted above, I was very excited to read a book that put them all together in a theme park. It was therefore with pleasure that I noted that though Wyatt and his peers were central figures in this tome, the author also gave ample time to the vampires, werewolves, and zombies, telling things from their points of view, though I felt like the zombies could have used a bit more "screen-time". I especially enjoyed the chapters featuring the vampires, Raoul, Sylvie, Ian, and Angie. When I first set out to read this tale, I thought that the "monsters" would just be scary, but they were so much more. None of them were happy with their living arrangements in the park, even the vampires who had agreed to be there but found themselves having to survive off of packaged animal blood after having had their fangs capped. By the end of the book, I was unhappy about their behavior, yet I could also sympathize with their circumstances. I also came to realize that certain humans in the book were far more monster-like than these creatures could ever be. Carter, Dr. Konrad, and other adults were featured in separate chapters as well. I really appreciated that each chapter focused on different people because it made for a much fuller read than just following one person.

Monsterland had perhaps a handful of grammatical errors, none of them distracting, so I am very glad to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. I also highly recommend it to fans of vampires, werewolves, and/or zombies as well as people who enjoy unique theme parks. There was a lot of violence and some sexual innuendo, so I'd caution those with weak constitutions against reading this. For these reasons, I also think it's better for older teens or young adults than tweens. While there were a few places that gave me goosebumps, the tale wasn't overly scary, so those who are okay with minor frights should be okay with this book as well.

Monsterland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like so much fun. I love the characters already, and like you say, who doesn't want the age-old question of 'who would win?' answered? Your review made this book come alive - awesome :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 01:52 This sounds like so much fun. I love the characters already, and like you say, who doesn't want the age-old question of 'who would win?' answered? Your review made this book come alive - awesome :)
Aw, thanks so much for your kind words; I do try hard to make sure my reviews are entertaining as well as informative...And even though the question was "answered", I'm sure there are those who will still disagree. Such is life!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I can't wait to read this book. I love monster stories and this one sounds great. I especially like that the character development of all characters is done well. Thanks for your review!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

1ditzyrn wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 10:22 I can't wait to read this book. I love monster stories and this one sounds great. I especially like that the character development of all characters is done well. Thanks for your review!
You're so welcome, and thank YOU for commenting! I hope you DO get to read this, for it was great fun.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your review makes monsters, vampires, zombies, etc., seem like fun creatures to hang out with! Great writing.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This book promises a unique premise. I will check out this book. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read this book as well. I found it to be absolutely engaging, unique and fabulous! Definitely worth reading. It was so much fun for me. I'd also recommend the second in the series, and I think there's going to be a third! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds great. I like these particular monsters as well and I love the fact that part of the story is from their point of view. Your review really makes me want to read this one.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Your review makes me want to read the book. I guess I would be on the edge my seat when the monsters encounter one another.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This sounds like a fun read, especially for next month! I also like when different perspectives are given (and done well) in a book, so I'm glad it worked out well here. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad that it didn't distract from your enjoyment! Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Just the kind of book I would love to read. This looks like a Jurassic Park (sans dinosaurs) meets World War Z and Twilight. Nice review by the way.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love stories that have a mixture of monsters, its also really cool that you get to see events through the monsters perspective. This makes me think of Zombie Land but with 3x the danger. Look forward to meeting these characters and entering the park with them.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 22:04 Your review makes monsters, vampires, zombies, etc., seem like fun creatures to hang out with! Great writing.
Thanks SO much for your kind comment!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 23:04 This book promises a unique premise. I will check out this book. Thanks for the review.
And thank YOU for commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”