Official Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "power corrupts" by nigel ruddin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Power Corrupts by Nigel Ruddin is an action-packed secret service novel. Commander David Oliver Grant and his team are alerted to an imminent and massive cybercrime to be committed by the megalomaniac, Muhammad Muhiuddin Aurangzeb (Alamgir, Seizer Of The Universe to his friends). Aurangzeb plans to make himself the ruler of India and to impose the Moslem faith on it. To achieve this, he is financed by the unwitting Temple of Unity, a new religion in India, and partnered by Thomas Starski, the nefarious CEO of Global Custodians.

I would have liked a little more guidance as to who the target audience for this book is as I now feel that I wasn’t the best person to review it. I selected it on the basis of having read the first chapter, summarised as follows. Commander Grant swam across the hotel pool and was attacked by the mosaic octopus which came to life. ‘Quite scary’, he thought. He then realised he’d been poisoned with LSD and remembered bumping into a man with a foot-long nose. He eventually got back to his room to find that his sidekick, Dexter, had tipped his would-be assassin down the laundry shaft, so Grant told him that he could have the homeward journey air miles.

I thought it was a hilarious opening chapter and was all set for a Batmanesque romp à la Adam West. In fact, it wasn’t a romp. Though the book doesn’t take itself seriously, it was more in the style of a graphic novel adventure with all the machismo that goes with that kind of story.

I found the immature behaviour of Dexter and Tristan, the weapons expert, grating rather than entertaining. I also found their dismissive attitude to collateral damage to be quite off-putting. When one of their own allies, an Italian opera singer, is shot and killed, Tristan callously asks ’was he in a gondola?’ At one point in the story, a car bomb is found outside their listening post, so a CIA agent decides to relocate it to the Global Custodians building, thereby killing two members of their staff. Our heroes are delighted with this mischief, but I felt that although the CEO was a very bad man, the possibility that his reception staff were in on the caper was pretty remote.

Although the story was rather Bond-like with its gadgets and larger than life criminal masterminds, I found that some of the situations asked for too much suspension of disbelief. After a twilight invasion of a fortress, where two of their people were killed, they stopped outside and built a funeral pyre for the dead. Astonishingly, nobody in the fortress noticed the blaze, though they did find the ashes the following day.

Another indication of the machismo was the lack of female characters. The CIA and Naval Intelligence don’t appear to hire them. In total, there were two, Natasha Rodin, who is Grant’s love interest, and the Archangel Gabrielle. The Archangels are four siblings who control the Temple of Unity. Michael has overall control, Uriel and Raphael are active in the finance and legal areas, while Gabrielle is petite and healthy.

There were other problems. I counted about 50 grammatical errors including misplaced apostrophes, incorrect words such as horse instead of hoarse, born instead of borne and many others. Even the character names were fluid. Gabrielle was sometimes Gabriel; Tristan was sometimes Triston. Chambers started as John and ended up as Ben.

Where I can’t fault the book is in the research. There were some fascinating snippets of technology and history, for example, the Dridex banking malware Trojan and the Gameover Zeus virus were described. There was an interesting account of the fibre-optic link, FLAG, a 28,000-kilometre-long submarine traffic communications cable connecting the UK, Europe and Japan. Also, the Nika revolt, caused by rival chariot racing teams, in Istanbul in the year 532.

With another round of editing, this would make a good adventure story, preferably aimed at the young adult market. I have rated this book 2 out of 4 stars (fair). It’s certainly not a bad book, but there are too many problems to rate a 3.

power corrupts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I can see how that opening chapter would have appealed to you - it's right up your alley :) I'm sorry the rest of it didn't show up to the party.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:13 I can see how that opening chapter would have appealed to you - it's right up your alley :) I'm sorry the rest of it didn't show up to the party.
Great review!
Thanks very much
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I would love to read another review of this book when the errors have been eradicated and the target audience identified.

I think I would struggle to read a book that hasn't been edited very well and that possibly unsuccessfully tries to mix genres that are wildly different.

At this point, I am probably likely to overlook this book, which is a shame because the opening and the summary have huge potential.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 05:43 I would love to read another review of this book when the errors have been eradicated and the target audience identified.

I think I would struggle to read a book that hasn't been edited very well and that possibly unsuccessfully tries to mix genres that are wildly different.

At this point, I am probably likely to overlook this book, which is a shame because the opening and the summary have huge potential.
Exactly, a good editor could really shake up the book and improve it tremendously.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I can see the potential here, but the immaturity of the characters might be annoying to me after awhile. Probably won't read this one. Thanks for your review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

melissy370 wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 06:38 I can see the potential here, but the immaturity of the characters might be annoying to me after awhile. Probably won't read this one. Thanks for your review.
Thank you
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I was thinking James Bond when I read your first paragraph, then it appears James Bond went bad. It takes skill to write "Batmanesque" campy humor and this one seems to know quite know what it is doing. Thanks for the honest review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

jcoad wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 07:13 I was thinking James Bond when I read your first paragraph, then it appears James Bond went bad. It takes skill to write "Batmanesque" campy humor and this one seems to know quite know what it is doing. Thanks for the honest review!
Thank you :tiphat:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

After a twilight invasion of a fortress, where two of their people were killed, they stopped outside and built a funeral pyre for the dead. Astonishingly, nobody in the fortress noticed the blaze, though they did find the ashes the following day.
Really? That's a serious inconsistency in a plot aiming to be a spy/action thriller. Moreover, so many grammatical errors is damning. I will pass this one. Thanks for the thorough review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 10:01
After a twilight invasion of a fortress, where two of their people were killed, they stopped outside and built a funeral pyre for the dead. Astonishingly, nobody in the fortress noticed the blaze, though they did find the ashes the following day.
Really? That's a serious inconsistency in a plot aiming to be a spy/action thriller. Moreover, so many grammatical errors is damning. I will pass this one. Thanks for the thorough review.
That’s what I thought too. Thank you.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Graphic novel adventure, machismo, immature characters, a lack of concern and even joy over collateral damage, and excessive errors--no thanks! This one doesn't sound like it has a single thing I would enjoy. Even the intro chapter you enjoyed so much seemed too goofy to me. Definitely passing on this one.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 11:55 Graphic novel adventure, machismo, immature characters, a lack of concern and even joy over collateral damage, and excessive errors--no thanks! This one doesn't sound like it has a single thing I would enjoy. Even the intro chapter you enjoyed so much seemed too goofy to me. Definitely passing on this one.
I don’t blame you. Thanks for posting.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

It's too bad it's rated 2 stars. The cover looks very comical. It does sound entertaining. Wonderful review;
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 22:18 It's too bad it's rated 2 stars. The cover looks very comical. It does sound entertaining. Wonderful review;
Thank you.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”