Official Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Re: Official Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin

Post by Alice Heritage »

An attack by an octopus mosaic (while tripping) sure makes for a cracking opening chapter! Too bad it went downhill from there. It sounds imaginative with well-researched techie stuff, but the macho black humour sounds a bit bizarre.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 08:03 An attack by an octopus mosaic (while tripping) sure makes for a cracking opening chapter! Too bad it went downhill from there. It sounds imaginative with well-researched techie stuff, but the macho black humour sounds a bit bizarre.
Exactly, with a good editor, to shake it up, there was a good story in there.
Thanks for posting.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It's disappointing when a book with a promising start falls flat input execution. Sounds like you had an uphill task trudging through the uphill task of completing the book. I have soo enjoyed your review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Cotwani wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:48 It's disappointing when a book with a promising start falls flat input execution. Sounds like you had an uphill task trudging through the uphill task of completing the book. I have soo enjoyed your review!
Thank you very much.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I am still amazed and pondering what is a connection between a today's cyber crime and Muhammad Aurangzeb, a great and a just Muslim ruler, who ruled in India a century ago with elegance and humbleness and granted legitimate rights to all believers professing different creeds and religions. It is an absolutely wrong blame that Islam was spread in India by force. Rather it was preached out by Muslim saints. His period was golden period of Muslim empire in India. The author has misinterpreted this great historical personality with his poor research.
Bad editing further downgrades the rating of this book. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 00:44 I am still amazed and pondering what is a connection between a today's cyber crime and Muhammad Aurangzeb, a great and a just Muslim ruler, who ruled in India a century ago with elegance and humbleness and granted legitimate rights to all believers professing different creeds and religions. It is an absolutely wrong blame that Islam was spread in India by force. Rather it was preached out by Muslim saints. His period was golden period of Muslim empire in India. The author has misinterpreted this great historical personality with his poor research.
Bad editing further downgrades the rating of this book. Thanks for this great review.
The connection is that this guy is a descendant of his. The character had misinterpreted the man, not the author.
Saying that, there are very few leaders whose rule can stand close scrutiny. Aurangzeb had 2 of his brothers executed and his father imprisoned for 8 years until his death. He also taxed Hindus at 5% and Moslems at 2.5%

Thanks for commenting
Last edited by Helen_Combe on 04 Oct 2018, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

They built an actual funeral pyre? WHAT? That...is crazy. The casual way they dealt with the death of their colleagues would also have made me mad. I'm all for a story that can be funny in the serious moments, but it needs to be tempered by realness if that makes any sense. Anyway, love your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

JR Mercier wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 03:32 They built an actual funeral pyre? WHAT? That...is crazy. The casual way they dealt with the death of their colleagues would also have made me mad. I'm all for a story that can be funny in the serious moments, but it needs to be tempered by realness if that makes any sense. Anyway, love your review.
I know, they did it as an act of respect while I was thinking ‘what about their families? They’ll want the body returned, not left in the desert’.
Thanks for commenting.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Like you, the first chapter got me interested as well. However, after reading your review, I am not sure if this book is up my alley.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Kajori50 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 04:17 Like you, the first chapter got me interested as well. However, after reading your review, I am not sure if this book is up my alley.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Thank you.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's such a pity that the novel was not well-edited, although I'm glad that it still had some redeeming elements – I'm always a sucker for well-researched works. Thanks for the review, Helen!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 09:39 It's such a pity that the novel was not well-edited, although I'm glad that it still had some redeeming elements – I'm always a sucker for well-researched works. Thanks for the review, Helen!
Thank you
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

It's really disappointing when a book goes downhill after a promising beginning. I really liked the opening chapter (as you described in your review).

Thank you for the insightful review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 09:14 It's really disappointing when a book goes downhill after a promising beginning. I really liked the opening chapter (as you described in your review).

Thank you for the insightful review.
Thank you. Yes, the opening chapter was a lot of fun.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

There really is an extent to which tragedies could be made light because, in reality, they aren't. It seems like this piece didn't make it way past the first part that much. I hope it gets the additional treatments you think it deserves, though, to make it maximise its worth. Thank you for your candid review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”