Official Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A bank robber decked out in disco apparel, a cow-jacked intersection, the pursuit of an armed gang member in the midst of a circus; these are several of the strange scenarios depicted in the true crime collection, Twisted But True, by author Darren Burch. Based on his career in law enforcement for over thirty years, these bizarre, tragic, and morbidly entertaining tales provide a glimpse into the real-life drama officers face daily proving the Mark Twain adage "Truth is stranger than fiction."

Darren Burch's fixation with saving lives began as a teenager after witnessing an explosive car crash and its resulting casualties. Haunted by his inability to rescue a young female victim from the burning vehicle, he credits that tragic night for first establishing his confidence to respond in harrowing situations during his law enforcement career. Burch acknowledges the need for the occasional dark humor represented in his collection as a coping skill for dealing with the tragic events often associated with daily police work. He likens it to telling amusing stories about the recently departed at a funeral as part of the healing process. While some of the tales are indeed, twisted, others are poignant and inspirational. All are true and despite the humor, convey Burch's dedicated commitment to protect and serve as a retired sergeant and twenty-eight-year veteran with the Phoenix Police Department.

I have been fascinated by true crime stories for as long as I can remember, so I couldn't wait to dive into this collection--I was not disappointed. More than once, I found myself thinking, "You just cannot make this stuff up!" The book includes thirty-four short stories that could be read in any order, but if you're like me, once you start, you'll be tempted to read "just one more."

It's said that authors should write what they know. Given his vast career experience working as a detective supervisor with the Crimes Against Children Unit, Night Detective Sergeant for the Homicide Unit, and detective for the Adult Sex Crimes Unit, Burch certainly qualifies experiencewise. As a writer, he displayed the unique talent of relating his stories humorously while still expressing compassion and remorse. For example, his description of a disco apparel clad bank robber complete with platform shoes using a pink bicycle as a getaway vehicle was hilarious while the results following the crime were understandably more serious. I was particularly moved by Burch's final chapter and the epilogue. Without revealing any spoilers, these chapters were on a more personal level and spoke to his character and dedication to both his family and career.

I'm unable to highlight any areas that needed improvement in this entertaining read. However, several of the stories included gross details, though the author usually prefaced the content with a subtle warning even if it was reflected in the chapter's title. Additionally, the book was professionally edited as I didn't note a single grammatical error. I'm pleased to rate this page-turner 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy true crime stories with a humorous twist. It is intended for a mature audience.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love this review, and these stories sound great too. I like true life stories and also crime/detective novels, so this sounds right up my street!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Well, the outline of the cow on the cover initially threw me a bit, and I didn't really know what to expect from the title. However, your review was clear, well-written and concise and it led me to add this book to my bookshelves. I have always been a big fan of True Crime, so stories with an added twist sounded even more appealing. This is a definite must-read-as-soon-as-I-can type of book! Many thanks.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Julie Green wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:09 I love this review, and these stories sound great too. I like true life stories and also crime/detective novels, so this sounds right up my street!
Thank you, Julie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 15:30 Well, the outline of the cow on the cover initially threw me a bit, and I didn't really know what to expect from the title. However, your review was clear, well-written and concise and it led me to add this book to my bookshelves. I have always been a big fan of True Crime, so stories with an added twist sounded even more appealing. This is a definite must-read-as-soon-as-I-can type of book! Many thanks.
I appreciate your comment.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise certainly is intriguing, and it's great that the stories have a basis in fact. Thanks for the lovely review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

gen_g wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 04:52 The premise certainly is intriguing, and it's great that the stories have a basis in fact. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

A cop writing true crime short stories is a unique and interesting premise. From your review, it sounds like the book was well done with a mixture of humor, and compassion. I like the true crime so based on your review, I will likely read this book in the future. Thank you for a great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sicily Joy wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 17:36 A cop writing true crime short stories is a unique and interesting premise. From your review, it sounds like the book was well done with a mixture of humor, and compassion. I like the true crime so based on your review, I will likely read this book in the future. Thank you for a great review.
Thank you, Sicily. Hope you enjoy the book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

No areas of improvement? That's high praise. I would love to read a book like this. Stories of the strange but true. So, thank you for the introduction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 18:12 No areas of improvement? That's high praise. I would love to read a book like this. Stories of the strange but true. So, thank you for the introduction.
Thanks, I appreciate your comment.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Short stories are just what I need right now after the huge tomes I have been consuming lately. The fact that the book kept you reading the stories one after the other proves that this could be the perfect read.

Lovely, convincing review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a really entertaining read. I don’t think I would be able to ride a bike wearing platforms though :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Samy Lax wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 23:21 Short stories are just what I need right now after the huge tomes I have been consuming lately. The fact that the book kept you reading the stories one after the other proves that this could be the perfect read.

Lovely, convincing review!
Thank you, Sammy. I think you'll enjoy it!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 09:50 Great review, it sounds like a really entertaining read. I don’t think I would be able to ride a bike wearing platforms though :lol:
Thank you, Helen. Right?! That mental picture was definitely worth a thousand words. :lol2:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”