Official Review: Darkest Before the Dawn by Mike Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Darkest Before the Dawn by Mike Martin

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkest Before the Dawn" by Mike Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winston Windflower has it all: Adorable mayor wife, the most beautiful newborn, a dog and the best job ever. Since he’s been serving as one of the RCMP officers in the Grand Bank area of Newfoundland, the area has hardly witnessed any major crimes. Now they’ve got not just one, but two murders. Add to that drug running, ghosts and a deserted house, and the RCMP have just had their work cut out for them. But one good thing is that the people know that the “Mounties,” as they’re fondly called, always get their man.

Darkest Before the Dawn is set in Canada, and each chapter is infused with a love for all things Canadian. Most of the events take place in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Mike Martin weaves a tale rich in culture, treating us to detailed scenes depicting local Canadian speech, a diverse community, indigenous folklore and religious customs. And when it comes to food, there are even a few interesting recipes thrown in for good measure.

Another selling point for me is that the author successfully analyzes and proffers solutions to a number of pressing social issues. One is Mental Health Awareness, especially in the adult male population. Men are traditionally raised to believe showing emotion is a sign of weakness. This book explores the connection between this emotional suppression in men and domestic abuse. The author describes the major characters’ lives on the home front in detail, making it clear just how much influence the atmosphere at home has on human personality and decisions.

And the characters in this tale? Realistic and relatable. Winston Windflower is the ideal police officer with strong ethics and a loving heart. Jacob Crowder is the stuff dark-minded techies are made of, complete with hermit lifestyle and pizza. Levi Parsons is the neighborhood broody teenager who always has his earbuds in, trying unsuccessfully to hide his depression. And Elizabeth Crowder is the ultimate money hungry lady, always ensuring she gets exactly what she wants no matter whose ox is gored. The secondary characters are also interesting. Quigley, Tizzard and the others all add life to this exciting tale.

Really, what’s not to love? Style, check. Grammar, check. Plot, check. Character development, double check. I rate Darkest Before the Dawn 4 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy good murder mysteries and thrillers, you should read this book.

Darkest Before the Dawn
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This sounds like an amazing book. I love that the characters are realistic and relatable. I always feel like I can get into a book more if I feel connected to the characters. I also like that the author analyzes pressing social issues. That in itself can make the reader connect to a book.
Mac :techie-reference:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

mac83 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 12:17 This sounds like an amazing book. I love that the characters are realistic and relatable. I always feel like I can get into a book more if I feel connected to the characters. I also like that the author analyzes pressing social issues. That in itself can make the reader connect to a book.
It is indeed an amazing book. It’s a total package. Appreciate your lovely comment!
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

What a fabulous review! I love all the rich details you included about the characters, but that goes to show just how vivid this author's character development is. I've never been to Canada, though I'd like to go someday, so I appreciate that the author grounds you in setting so well. I have a friend that loves thrillers so I might recommend this to her.

Thanks again for your wonderful review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Thank you for your wonderful review, this book certainly seems like a great read.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I can almost visualize a movie being made from this book - the characters all sound so diverse and real that they almost jump out at you! Also, I am always intrigued by intriguing titles and this one hits the spot. This is a well-written, positive review of what seems to be a great book, so will definitely be interested in delving further into this story. Good job!
Get Going-Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Get Going-Now »

this is a book I would like to read. It sounds as there is action all the time as well as suspense. I can not put down a book that is always on the go.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy books about Mounties. You don't see that often. Plus with your four star rating, it must be goos. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love your descriptions of the different characters. Sounds like a nice book - I haven't read many set in Canada so I might give this a try. Nice review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book sounds thrilling, with well developed characters and plot line. Great review. I can't wait to check this book out.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”