Official Review: Cruise Ship Murders by Clark Selby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Re: Official Review: Cruise Ship Murders by Clark Selby

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Alicia09 wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 21:08 I like reading murder mysteries, but this story sounds like it went flatter than a tire on Chicago streets during construction season. I agree that having a strong sense of character development could have helped. I also agree that having rich descriptions of each place the couple visited could have helped the story improve. I probably won't be reading this, but I appreciate your honest review. Thanks!
I love your metaphor. Thanks for the comment.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's such a pity that the characters were not fleshed out, and personally, it is quite a turn-off. Nonetheless, the premise does look interesting. Thanks for the review!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I love deep characters as well, so I think I'll be giving this one a pass. Thanks for your review though!
Jackie Holycross

gen_g wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 04:55 It's such a pity that the characters were not fleshed out, and personally, it is quite a turn-off. Nonetheless, the premise does look interesting. Thanks for the review!
I know. I just wanted it to be deeper. It had great potential.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

The mystery intrigued me, but the book seems to be lacking in other ways. After reading the first part of the review I really wanted to read the book, but when I got to the latter part I didn't feel so sure about it. Specially the lack of reaction from the two wives. I want to give this book a chance in the hope that the mystery would be enough to cover up what it lacks in other ways.
Jackie Holycross

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 06:00 The mystery intrigued me, but the book seems to be lacking in other ways. After reading the first part of the review I really wanted to read the book, but when I got to the latter part I didn't feel so sure about it. Specially the lack of reaction from the two wives. I want to give this book a chance in the hope that the mystery would be enough to cover up what it lacks in other ways.
Thanks for the comment. I hope you enjoy the book.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I would really hate to be the wife of a retired cop, whose husband jumps into a murder investigation while we are on a cruise. I wish you had better praise for the characters, I would have been more tempted to want to read this book. Anyway I will keep in view.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Wow. I love your summary of the book, the plot is really interesting. Even with the lack of character development I still feel the book is really cool. Thanks for the review.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

but the author did have a habit of starting new paragraphs when the same character was still speaking. I found this distracting and confusing at times.
Strange, and very distracting! The book sounds very interesting though. It reminds me of Twisted Threads. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”