Official Review: Destructive Interference

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Destructive Interference

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Destructive Interference" by Michael Christopher Carter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Destructive Interference: The Devastation of Matthew Morrisey by Michael Christopher Carter is a crime/thriller book about a man named Matthew Morrisey who takes a late-night walk that changes his life forever.

On Christmas Eve, Matthew Morrissey takes a leisurely walk to the local convenience store to buy batteries for his daughter’s Christmas present. What he doesn’t know, is that this seemingly harmless decision will change his life forever. When Matthew returns home, everything has changed and his house is no longer his house. Confusion and panic set in as Matthew attempts to unravel the mystery of what has happened to him. Even though he has a theory, he must escape captivity to find the answers. Can he solve this conundrum or is his family and former life lost to him forever?

This book had me glued to it from the first page. The entire time I was trying to figure out what could have possibly happened, but the story is totally unpredictable. The characters are so well-developed, I almost felt like I knew them personally by the end of the story. I felt so bad for Matthew. I desperately wanted him to figure out what happened and get back to his family.

I really liked that the story leaves room for interpretation based on what the reader believes to be reality. Because what is reality but a concept unique to each of us? We can be so insistent sometimes that our way of seeing something is more right than someone else’s way. The book is about the fundamental understanding of Matthew’s world and the realization that reality is not what it seems. I couldn’t really find anything that I didn’t like about the book. The only thing is that a few times the back and forth between the two alternate realities was confusing. However, the plot twists and turns and the creepy ending were exactly perfect.

In summary, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think anyone who likes a little twist with a supernatural feel in their tales, would love this book. If you are a reader that likes everything tied up in the ending, then this would not be the book for you. It is very well written with very few errors. I only noticed a couple of spelling errors but nothing that was distracting. The story leaves room for different readers to have different take-aways from the story. It really does make you think about what would happen if you woke up one day and things were not as they had always seemed. I would definitely recommend this book with enthusiasm.

Destructive Interference
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The mystery and unpredictable plots in the book have piqued my interest. Fascinating review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Creepy ending, huh? I was eager to get a copy of this book until you mentioned that the loose ends are not tied up. I usually avoid unsatisfactory endings but despite this, you have rated it 4 out of 4 so I am willing to try it out. Thanks for the insightful review!
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

Your review has drawn me in to this book. It sounds like it would be a good book and one I wouldn't want to put down until I would finish it. I am wondering if the ending isn't all tied up because there can be another book written after this one. I like when books also let you draw your own conclusions.
Mac :techie-reference:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I must confess I dislike endings with loose ends. However, I did enjoy your interesting review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller revolving around a man whose life took a sinister turn sounds just the book for me! The premise sounds original and had me hooked. An unpredictable plot, well-developed characters, and a supernatural twist add to the intrigue. I usually don't care for loose ends, but I will make an exception in this case. Thank you
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a supernatural crime thriller full of mystery, suspense, longing, and desperation. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an incredibly written OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats @MCCarterAuthor for the amazing BOTD.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Destructive Interference: The Devastation of Matthew Morrisey by Michael Christopher Carter" seems interesting. The twists and unpredictability of the entire story add a uniqueness to the overall picture. The supernatural feel and mystery intrigue me as well. I am not a big fan of stories that are not properly tied up at the end that leaves your mind wondering and drawing conclusions by yourself, but I am willing to take the chance to read the book and make my own conclusions. Thank you for such a brilliant review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I like that the story is unpredictable with well-developed characters and different take-aways. It must have been scary for Matthew to return to his home, and it wasn't his home or his family.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Just from the review, it sounds like this book has a ton of interesting things going for it. An unpredictable plot line, that plays with the reader’s concept of reality, that keeps you glued to the pages and trying to figure out how to get Matthew’s life back: yes please!
Arnold Abubakari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arnold Abubakari »

This is great. A supernatural crime thriller full of literally devices. GREAT WORK
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The concept of parallel reality is fictitious, but the author has made an astounding plot out of it and successfully converted it into an unpredictable story.
meenachamber
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meenachamber »

Sounds intriguing... looking forward to a good mystery 😁
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

A well-edited book with well-developed characters and an unpredictable story sounds a thrilling read! Actually, what intrigues me is the creepy ending... got my copy! Thank you for the review!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The twists and the plot are quite intriguing. Thanks for the excellent review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”