Official Review: Glitteration in the Night and Other Stor...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Official Review: Glitteration in the Night and Other Stor...

Post by Bianka Walter »

Allyseria wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 15:11 Thank you for your review. A lot of books do not centre around these themes, so I think this book will open my eyes. I have never actually read this kind of book before, and although I can usually empathise with these struggles, I think this book will completely make me see things in a different light.
Yes, it is interesting to see people's struggles in a different way. Thank you for commenting!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsLisa wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 16:37 I think I've had my fair share of depressing short story collections. There seems to be quite a few out there.
I agree, which is why I'm glad this one stepped out the box a bit :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think stories about realistic, dark topics are important. However, the lack of closure would bother me even though life is actually like that.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Interesting. I have never read a book like this. A book of short stories by Stephen King would be the closest. Not sure I like the idea of "snippets" and not full stories or closure. Very thought provoking review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

teacherjh wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 11:16 I think stories about realistic, dark topics are important. However, the lack of closure would bother me even though life is actually like that.
Well, exactly. I know that it's the conventional way of ending stories, so maybe we've just deemed it necessary. But I suppose it's not really.
Thanks for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

jcoad wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:31 Interesting. I have never read a book like this. A book of short stories by Stephen King would be the closest. Not sure I like the idea of "snippets" and not full stories or closure. Very thought provoking review!
I haven't read Stephen King's short stories, but I can imagine they would be terrifying! And they would have endings :)
- Dr. Seuss
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The depressing tone and the open-ended endings makes me a bit skeptical about picking up the book. However, something about your review draws me to the book.

Thank you for the amazing review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's definitely not a happy book, that's for sure!
Thanks for reading my review, I appreciate it :)
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really authentic and sincere collection of short scenes into the lives of people from an assortment of backgrounds. I appreciate that the author does not shy away from harsher topics such as depression and drug abuse. Thanks for the amazing review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 05:18 This sounds like a really authentic and sincere collection of short scenes into the lives of people from an assortment of backgrounds. I appreciate that the author does not shy away from harsher topics such as depression and drug abuse. Thanks for the amazing review.
Authentic is actually the perfect word. It's almost like the stories had nothing to prove. I kinda wish I had put that in my review :lol2:
And thank YOU for reading, I really appreciate it :)

Still looking forward to your next review... when they decide to finally publish one!
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 16:00
gen_g wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 05:18 This sounds like a really authentic and sincere collection of short scenes into the lives of people from an assortment of backgrounds. I appreciate that the author does not shy away from harsher topics such as depression and drug abuse. Thanks for the amazing review.
Authentic is actually the perfect word. It's almost like the stories had nothing to prove. I kinda wish I had put that in my review :lol2:
And thank YOU for reading, I really appreciate it :)

Still looking forward to your next review... when they decide to finally publish one!
Thank you for the kind comments, Bianka! (: However, my count of complete but not published reviews just increased by one..."when they decide to" certainly sounds right! :lol2:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like a very interesting, though dark, venture into the human condition and alternative short story format. As ever, pity about the editing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 02:29 Great review. It sounds like a very interesting, though dark, venture into the human condition and alternative short story format. As ever, pity about the editing.
Thanks, Helen :)
- Dr. Seuss
MooseBook
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MooseBook »

I am new to the Book-Club so any suggestions on how to maximize my club experience would be helpful. However, I stumbled onto Glitteration by John David Wells. Intrigued by the reviews of its 'dystopic' short stories I got a copy. As an avid reader and filmmaker I was thrilled - this is a goldmine. Short stories ready for a screen treatment. Much like Alfred Hitchcock presents -real world situations, plenty of problems, dream like structures, not always happy endings but between the lines Wells makes sure there is always hope, real or imagined, on the horizon to some quite deplorable human conditions. Kerouac meets Orwell... Thank you, Wells
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MooseBook wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 12:03 I am new to the Book-Club so any suggestions on how to maximize my club experience would be helpful. However, I stumbled onto Glitteration by John David Wells. Intrigued by the reviews of its 'dystopic' short stories I got a copy. As an avid reader and filmmaker I was thrilled - this is a goldmine. Short stories ready for a screen treatment. Much like Alfred Hitchcock presents -real world situations, plenty of problems, dream like structures, not always happy endings but between the lines Wells makes sure there is always hope, real or imagined, on the horizon to some quite deplorable human conditions. Kerouac meets Orwell... Thank you, Wells
Absolutely. I am one of the rainbows and butterflies types - I always imagine a happy ending. Even if, just by knowing human nature, there is no hope.
Welcome to OBC! I hope you have many happy hours of reading here :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”