Official Review: Monsterland Reanimated by Michael Okon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Monsterland Reanimated by Michael Okon

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monsterland Reanimated" by Michael Okon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Monsterland, a theme park of Zombies, Werewolves and Vampires was built by Vincent Konrad in a scheme to take over the world. Monsterland Reanimated is the stunning sequel in which we see the return of Vincent Konrad.

Wyatt and his friends are still trying to recover after slaying Zombies, seeing Werewolves' heads explode and the fall of the Vampires. The world has now gone mad, and they must leave their little town for supplies. After getting attacked by a gang of doctors, dentists and lawyers, they realize things are quite different than they used to be. How can they survive in this post-apocalyptic nightmare?

When I saw this book up for review, I jumped at the chance to read it. I remember absolutely loving the first book and knew I was in for a treat here as well. I wasn't wrong. There are, however, a lot of nuances from the first book that continue in Monsterland Reanimated. So, I would not advise reading this book without having read the original story first.

The characters are a treat to follow. The main protagonists are seniors in high school. In some ways, they are typical teenagers arguing about which monster is more powerful. Still, they are forced to grow up fast. Other young adults would find pieces of themselves in many of the characters.

It was also interesting to see the new enemies that Wyatt and his friends face. From an alien fuel that thrives on the living to real "live" mummies, it's amazing how many myths, monsters and old books and movies come to play in this story. There were Native American legends right alongside Greek mythology next to a classic monster. You never knew what was going to pop up around the corner; I found it quite creative.

I do have to warn you, though, that the ending is yet another cliffhanger. While there is enough wrapped up not to make you feel too unsatisfied, not everything is tied up in a nice, neat bundle. The next book is going to be a must read for anyone that has read the first two.

While I enjoyed reading this book with its unique story line, likable characters and interesting enemies, it just didn't strike me quite the same way the first one did. How do you top a theme park full of monsters that are out of control? I'm not sure, but Mr. Okon didn't quite accomplish that feat.

In my opinion, Monsterland Reanimated earns a 3 out of 4 stars. There were few grammatical errors, but it didn't quite energize and engage me as did Monsterland. It was still absolutely worth reading, and I recommend it to those who enjoy a good young adult, action, monster story.

Monsterland Reanimated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The characters are a treat to follow. The main protagonists are seniors in high school. In some ways, they are typical teenagers arguing about which monster is more powerful. Still, they are forced to grow up fast. Other young adults would find pieces of themselves in many of the characters.
Well-developed characters as you described make such a difference in any book. Though the content isn't my cup of tea, I can see how the book would have a broad appeal with the popularity of zombies, monsters, etc.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 06:46
Well-developed characters as you described make such a difference in any book. Though the content isn't my cup of tea, I can see how the book would have a broad appeal with the popularity of zombies, monsters, etc.
Yes! And it's such a different treatment of these particular monsters as well! And the first book? WOW!
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Based on your review, this does not seem like a standalone novel. I am glad that you still retain the memories of the the first book in the series and that you found the second book to be enjoyable. I would like to check out this series. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 07:51 Based on your review, this does not seem like a standalone novel. I am glad that you still retain the memories of the the first book in the series and that you found the second book to be enjoyable. I would like to check out this series. Thanks for the review!
I mean, you PROBABLY could read this one without the first. You'd be a bit lost, though. Too many nuances from the first carryover to the second. But, the series is ABSOLUTELY worth reading. You wouldn't regret it for sure!
—Neil Gaiman
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Thanks for letting me know that this book is part of a series. I am very interested in reading it, but want to make sure I read them in order so that I get the full experience. I also hate getting to the end of a novel just to find that it ends on a cliffhanger. I like to know that going in to the book, so thanks for the heads up!
Thanks for your review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

1ditzyrn wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 12:19 Thanks for letting me know that this book is part of a series. I am very interested in reading it, but want to make sure I read them in order so that I get the full experience. I also hate getting to the end of a novel just to find that it ends on a cliffhanger. I like to know that going in to the book, so thanks for the heads up!
Thanks for your review!
It's not TOO bad of a cliffhanger. It just lets you know there's more to the story. But, yes. Start with the first book. It's amazing. You'll love it!
—Neil Gaiman
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

A well written review, which has succeeded in whetting my appetite for for the book one. I hope after reading the book one I will be compelled to come read this sequel. well-done!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ea_anthony wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 16:57 A well written review, which has succeeded in whetting my appetite for for the book one. I hope after reading the book one I will be compelled to come read this sequel. well-done!
I hope you do read the first book. It's a fabulous series, and I know you'll enjoy it.
—Neil Gaiman
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Wow! As a big fan of fantasy books, this is right up my alley! I can not wait to read the first book and will take it up as soon as becomes available for me. Thanks for the review. It was really helpful.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shrabastee wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 06:01 Wow! As a big fan of fantasy books, this is right up my alley! I can not wait to read the first book and will take it up as soon as becomes available for me. Thanks for the review. It was really helpful.
Yes! I would highly recommend this one to you. The author is extremely talented. You'll love it. I just know it!
—Neil Gaiman
lazybekah
Currently Reading: The Devil's Astronaut
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazybekah.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M

Post by lazybekah »

I like amusement park settings so I think the first one would appeal to me more than the second. But both sound fantastic! Monsters are so popular in literature now that any unique or creative take on them has got to be a joy to read. Your reviews are always great, thank you!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

lazybekah wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 13:22 I like amusement park settings so I think the first one would appeal to me more than the second. But both sound fantastic! Monsters are so popular in literature now that any unique or creative take on them has got to be a joy to read. Your reviews are always great, thank you!
Thanks! You definitely would enjoy the first if you like theme park settings! I highly recommend the series.
—Neil Gaiman
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I'm wondering how big a part the zombies play in the series. I like the sound of the book, but those monsters in particular just don't bode well with me. I am particularly interested to see how Native American and Greek mythology runs its course in the book.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 21:00 I'm wondering how big a part the zombies play in the series. I like the sound of the book, but those monsters in particular just don't bode well with me. I am particularly interested to see how Native American and Greek mythology runs its course in the book.
The zombies do play a fairly big part. But, they are zombies because of a virus. I don't know if that makes a difference to you. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”