Official Review: Variations on a Haunting Theme

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Variations on a Haunting Theme

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Variations on a Haunting Theme" by Alan Millard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William is intrigued when Howard, a rather reserved and withdrawn man, invites him over for dinner. He senses the spookiness as soon as he lays foot inside Howard’s house. The cold and gloomy air of the house creeps inside him, and it only increases as his dinner extends to a couple of days. What makes William stay are the stories that Howard tells him. Starting every tale with a piece from Bach’s famed Goldberg Variations, Howard reels in William’s interest by engaging him with the accounts of real-life incidents that happened to a group of individuals connected through a very slight detail. As it turns out, Howard, too, is linked to the protagonists of his stories, and by hearing about them, now, William, too, is.

Variations on a Haunting Theme by Alan Millard is, in its essence, a compilation of eight stories that have eerie endings. Each story deals with one or the other aspect of the supernatural genre. The themes vary from simple ghost stories to cult fanaticism, from the case of life after death to an instance of psychological problems. While on the surface, this might appear to be simple scary stuff, a deeper evaluation reveals that it has some significant themes at its heart. One story deals with a man suffering from depression, while the other shows a man with unresolved childhood issues. Occasionally, there comes a line that turns out to be profoundly meaningful.

The author deserves an A++ for the way he has written this novel. Immediately building the mood, the brilliant writing style makes use of its Gothic setting to capture the attention of the reader. The writer treats the reader just as Howard treats William. Taking his time to build the tension in every story, he, then, ends it with such intensity that makes the reader have a drink, or a nap(!), before moving on to the next one. The descriptions of the characters and their surroundings are concise, yet insightful enough to keep the reader on the edge of his/her seat. The moods of the characters echo through the atmosphere of the story. Be it the foggy day or the sunny one, the weather in each story fluctuates with the temper of its protagonist.

Speaking of the characters, they are another feather in the cap for Variations on a Haunting Theme. Before starting each story, Howard plays a Goldberg variation that mirrors the personality of the story’s central character. All eight accounts show different types of men with varying social temperaments and distinct personal and professional personas. As their stories progress, we note the gradual changes in their nature as, finally, every single one of them meets a horrible end, in one way or another.

My rating for this novel is 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason that refrains me from giving it a perfect rating is the frequency of grammatical mistakes in it. They hampered the reading flow and sometimes created confusion about certain details in the story. I believe that 3.5 would be a more justifiable rating for this book, considering how awesome the rest of it is in comparison to a bunch of mistakes. I recommend this book to everyone who likes to read spooky, haunting stories. Also, don’t read this book before sleeping. You don’t want that stuff in your dreams. Trust me!

Variations on a Haunting Theme
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The book seems to contain engaging stories, and since I'm one of those who like haunting ones, I will add it on my to-read list. Excellent and enjoyable review! .
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

The premise alone definitely sounds like this book is something I would like to read. Your review is very insightful and made me want to read this even more; I love that there are often meaningful lines and that the writing style really sets the tone. I'll add this to my reading list, thank you for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm still not sure I'm getting the proper sense of this book. I know I can overlook the errors. I think I just need to see a sample. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

What a pity that grammatical mistakes prevented this book from a perfect score. It sounds awesome and has joined my list of must-reads on my bookshelf. Many thanks for this glowing recommendation - it sounds like just the book that would appeal to me and am excited to try it out!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”