Official Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set" by Michael Dirubio.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Davison loved the subterfuge of this house, as it appealed to his hidden larcenous nature. The garage door was neatly cut into the foundation wall and painted gray and mottled. It blended into the rock until most people forgot it was there. The headlights from the car illuminated the cavernous rough-walled space. The floor was shiny Terrazzo epoxy and spacious enough for his car and the truck he kept in there, as well."

The Complete Thief series is a set of three novels in an unabridged form. In this first novel, we see how the protagonist grapples with a variety of institutions that try to come in their way as they attempt to steal millions in gold and diamonds. The first one is a beautiful work that I would absolutely suggest to everyone who loves C/T/M/H (everyone above 18 that is). It is a beautifully wrought narrative with a strong plot and excellent characterisation. The second book is Thief in Need, an interesting piece in which the protagonist is contacted by an old friend out of retirement for his own agenda. This is a must read if you have loved the narrative so far and plan on completing the series. In the final book, the protagonist is stuck right in the middle of the middle of the 2016 election, which is an absolute treat for people like me. I have a lot to say about this one.

The author of this book is Michael Dirubio, creator of nine self-published works. The author spent a total of twenty years in the navy but chose to become a writer. He believes that so far it is going well and he lives in the bay area with his wife and friends.

If you are wondering why I added the above quote, it is simply to make a point about the author’s writing skills. The way he describes landscape is utterly astonishing. He really knows how to weave a web of fragments that coalesce into a larger, more coherent narrative.

As I mentioned earlier, the author has essentially done great work in the first novel. I found it almost flawless. The plot was seemingly fluid and moved with such ease that I didn't even get to know when the book got over. 

The second book is rather interesting, in that it has to grapple with a lot of expectations set by the author in the first book. But in my opinion, the author does a good job with the second book too.

However, I feel that the best was definitely the third one. I love political intrigue, so this book was absolutely made for me. I loved the overall narrative. I loved how fluid and inconsistent the characters were. I loved all of it.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to adults who love crime and thriller.

The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Sounds like an entertaining and gripping thriller series. I am gonna pin it to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Crime and political intrigue seem like good subjects for a series, I'll be adding this series to my shelves! Also, the quote you included drew me in.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A very enthralling thriller of politics and crime sounds like an interesting read. Adding this to my WTR shelf. Thank you for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Wow, a three book series! How did you manage to read all of them within the time deadline!?!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not big on the C/M/T/H genre but I did love your comment about "inconsistent characters" That's something you usually don't want to see in a book! :lol2: That the writer pulls off all three books with this kind of character is nothing short of amazing. I'll probably pass on this one but I'm certainly glad I got to read your review. Well done!!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”