Official Review: Barlow Laid Bare by John McAllister

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: Barlow Laid Bare by John McAllister

Post by topdan30 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barlow Laid Bare" by John McAllister.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barlow Laid Bare is a fictional novel by John McAllister. This is a crime, thriller, and a mystery novel. The book is 300 pages. It contains graphic scenes and mild sexual content and not suitable for children. I will recommend this novel to lovers of a fictional detective novel with a dose of romance.

Sergeant John Barlow is an intelligent detective, who is despised by some of his colleagues, most especially, his boss, District Inspector Harvey. There is some crime that needs to be investigated and solved. The murder of Mrs Cosgrave, the stolen whisky case and the murder of Ezekiel Fetherton are the cases that need urgent attention.

John Barlow never knew that his involvement in these cases will turn his life around. Now, he is a suspect in one of the cases, and his boss is ready to get him discharged from work. He is out to solve the cases and prove his innocence. His journey to proving his innocence leads him to a group of Devil worshippers. Things just keep stacking up against him as someone or group of people are out to get him in trouble. His freedom and his life are threatened. Who is out to get Barlow in trouble? Why Barlow? Will he succeed in his investigation? Will he still be a free man? All this will be answered with a read.

The author did a good job with the storyline as it involves crime, investigation, love and lot more. The storyline is interesting and relatable. It focuses on Barlow’s love life, work life, and past life. All these aspects of His life were realistic as painted by the author.

All characters provided by the author in this novel were well detailed and interesting to read about. Each character has its own uniqueness which makes reading about them interesting. I love Barlow’s character as he is meek, honest, easy going, humorous and intelligent. He reads beyond dotted lines and his thought level is high. Barlow is a man who cares for people around him.

I found some fault in this book despite the likeness for its character development. The author’s style of writing makes the book looks boring from the start. It lacks a vivid description of the environment and other elements which meant to allow readers to picture the story in their mind. The author also kept switching between the normal font and Italic, to represent a different aspect of the story without an appropriate caption, to indicate what each aspect is for. This particular act made reading the story hectic as readers will have to classify each aspect themselves.

The book was professionally edited with few errors noted. I rate Barlow Laid Bare 2 out of 4 stars. I would have enjoyed the story more if the author had made the scenes picturable.

Barlow Laid Bare
View: on Bookshelves

Like topdan30's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like a throwaway book, that isn't as good as most other throwaway books. If I want a good crime story I will pick up a John Sandford book. I appreciate your honesty and thanks for a great review!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

Thanks for the review. I like mysteries, but agree with you that it is difficult to read a book that isn't very descriptive or that switches back and forth between fonts without giving a reason. I'm not sure that this one is for me. Thanks!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

thank you for your review. I really love it. I'll probably pass on this book.
topdan30
Currently Reading:

Post by topdan30 »

jcoad wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 07:08 Sounds like a throwaway book, that isn't as good as most other throwaway books. If I want a good crime story I will pick up a John Sandford book. I appreciate your honesty and thanks for a great review!
Thanks for commenting
topdan30
Currently Reading:

Post by topdan30 »

1ditzyrn wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 10:43 Thanks for the review. I like mysteries, but agree with you that it is difficult to read a book that isn't very descriptive or that switches back and forth between fonts without giving a reason. I'm not sure that this one is for me. Thanks!
Thanks for commenting
topdan30
Currently Reading:

Post by topdan30 »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 20:57 thank you for your review. I really love it. I'll probably pass on this book.
Thanks for commenting
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I love Barlow’s character as he is meek, honest, easy going, humorous and intelligent.
That's weird. That's the first time I have heard a Seargent being meek. I am not going to pick up this one. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”