Official Review: The Markov Encryption by David N Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: The Markov Encryption by David N Robinson

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Markov Encryption" by David N Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Markov Encryption by David N Robinson features former Marine Ben Lewis, who is the subject of two other books in Robinson's thrilling series. The story takes place in London, where Ben is meeting a friend at a local cafe for a game of chess. While waiting, Ben is ambushed by an old friend and fellow Marine Keiran Doherty. Ben is shocked by the reappearance of Keiran because according to reports, everyone thought he died a year ago. Keiran has been off the grid with a single purpose: stealing an encryption key that will lead to one of the world's greatest computer hacks by revealing Russia's top state secrets. Keiran knows he was only one of the players involved in trying to get their hands on this key and that he won't be able to outsmart his killers for much longer. He needs Ben's help.

Ben isn't interested in becoming involved in Keiran's plan, until Keiran threatens him by showing him a video of his former girlfriend, Holly, who has been kidnapped and only has days to live. Ben has no choice but to follow Keiran's set of clues that will lead him to the encryption key. Keiran has just enough time to explain all of this before he is killed in front of Ben in broad daylight. Now it's Ben's turn to begin living on borrowed time as he evades assassins at every turn to try to find the key and save Holly.

The Markov Encryption is your classic spy thriller that opens with an action-packed scene in the first few pages and doesn't relent the entire way through the book. I really enjoyed the fighting scenes, of which there were plenty, because they were so thoroughly written that it was easy to picture them playing out in real life. Though this is the third book in the Ben Lewis series, I felt like any background information I needed to know what sufficiently explained and I never felt like I was missing out on anything by not having read the first two books.

I found all of the characters to be well-written and believable, with the exception at times of Ben. Being that he is a former special forces Marine and this isn't the first case he's found himself in where people are tracking him and trying to kill him, I found him to be too trusting. He seemed to have no problem introducing himself to strangers and immediately telling them his business. I didn't find this to be a realistic characteristic of someone who is trying to fly under the radar. But other than this minor annoyance, I thought all of the characters and their motivations were easy to follow and logical.

Though there was a lot of political maneuvering with several countries being involved in hunting down this encryption key, it was easy to keep them straight and not get confused about who was doing what. If anything, it got a little repetitive when agents were filling in their boss on things that had just happened. It felt unnecessary to read about characters giving a summary of the scene that I had only just read without presenting any new information.

I did find a few minor errors sprinkled through the story, but nothing that detracted from my reading. Overall, I enjoyed this action-packed adventure and would recommend it to those who enjoy James Bond novels. Due to the issues I already mentioned above, it wasn't a perfect read for me but it was highly enjoyable. Therefore I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Markov Encryption
View: on Bookshelves

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds quite interesting. As far as Ben, maybe that's his big character flaw - his trust in people. It's too bad about the errors, but they sound pretty minor. Glad you enjoyed this one. I'll keep it in mind for a future date.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"It felt unnecessary to read about characters giving a summary of the scene that I had only just read without presenting any new information." Ugh, why do authors do that. The repetition is so annoying. Just say, "he gave so and so an update." Oh well, it sounds like a pretty thrilling and fast-paced story. Nice review.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This action-packed spy thriller with an unrelenting pace almost made me pin it to my TR list, however, I was stopped dead on my tracks due to the character flaws of the protagonist as well as repetition. Thanks for the review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Spies, action, and good characters- I'm sold!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

ashley_claire wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 11:34 If anything, it got a little repetitive when agents were filling in their boss on things that had just happened. It felt unnecessary to read about characters giving a summary of the scene that I had only just read without presenting any new information.
I can't stand it when authors do that. Either they think we're stupid and don't remember what happened a few pages ago or they're trying to make their story longer for whatever reason. Either way it's annoying. Despite that flaw, the book still sounded interesting.
Leslie123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leslie123 »

I think i have read or watch a thriller like this before.. its like John Wick story.. maybe you could alter some of the plot/scene to make it more original.. thanks!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

When an author takes you through the story twice, I can see how that could get boring. I'm reminded of the Life of Pi chapter when Yann Martel simply has, "The Story" as the entire chapter. He didn't need to tell us how he reported his experience, we had experienced it already.
Spencer Mack
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Giving one's trust too easily and quickly would be a definite drawback for a spy. It could probably get you killed quite quickly just by opening up to the wrong person. I'm not really into this genre so I'll give this one a pass, but your review makes it sound really exciting!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”