Official Review: Hollywood Riptide by Joseph Sciuto

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Hollywood Riptide by Joseph Sciuto

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hollywood Riptide" by Joseph Sciuto.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hollywood Riptide by Joseph Sciuto lives up to its namesake in every sense of the word as the story plunges you into the deep waters of 1980s Hollywood where conflicting desires and characters will collide headfirst in the most unexpected of ways. The novel opens with a glimpse of Nick Caggiano, a sweet, aspiring writer from the Bronx who is just trying to make it in Los Angeles while holding on to his morals and Catholic faith. Things start to spiral out of control after he encounters the troubled Nicole Weiss, a 21-year-old beauty with endless money and drugs and a whole past’s worth of trauma. The two head into a whirlwind of passion and instability as they navigate the turbulent ocean that is their relationship.

While this may sound like the traditional ‘good boy meets bad girl story,’ it is much more than that. The book delves into the worst parts of Hollywood culture, including sexual abuse and drug addiction. Additionally, readers are privy to many characters’ perspectives, including that of Nicole’s father, a former soldier and current movie industry tycoon, Richard Weiss. Apart from his thoughts on and reactions to his daughter’s rash behavior and harmful decisions, Richard brings the realities of WWII, and war in general, to light. As the book develops, other soldiers’ stories begin to shine through as well, adding yet another layer to this unique novel.

One of the things I liked most about this book was that it gave me many intense emotions while reading it, even if those emotions were largely anger, disgust and frustration. I’ve always stood by the idea that a novel should make you feel something strongly, and this one did just that. I appreciated that the story didn’t shy away from difficult subjects but rather attempted to portray the darker moments in an honest way. The novel itself was well-written, with but a few unobtrusive typos.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it successfully reveals a story that, while so unlike anything most of us will ever experience, gives us insight into Hollywood in the 1980s (and today, in my opinion). As for the type of reader this book will appeal to, please note that there is a high level of graphic adult content related to abuse, sex and drugs. A large portion of the book is dialogue between Nick and Nicole interspersed with long scenes from the past and some looks at the lives of the other characters. I felt that these many fast-paced dialogue scenes echoed the drug-addled minds and unstable feelings of the characters, but do keep it in mind when wondering if this is stylistically the right book for you.

Personally, I enjoyed this rare glimpse into Hollywood and its many victims and villains, but also into the lives of people who have endured far too much. I believe Sciuto did his homework on the subject and has presented an accurate portrayal of the times and themes. Interestingly enough, I believe the content and style of Hollywood Riptide would do well if turned into a screenplay—though perhaps that’s just the theme making me biased—and I would love to see it as a movie someday!

Hollywood Riptide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
chizivic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizivic.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul
Reading Device: B06XH525P7

Post by chizivic »

Great review! I'm now definitely interested in reading the book.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This book offers alot as you point out. will sure be interested. Great review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Bluegirl53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1077

Post by Bluegirl53 »

Great book I really like it I read it to my daughter and grandkids and they like the book it hand good idea in mind :tiphat:
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

This sounds like a good book. Your review makes it sound like something I would quickly get pulled into and end up reading until I finished it. I like that it triggered such emotions. Those are my favorite types of books!
Mac :techie-reference:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree completely that a novel should make you feel something strongly. It sounds like there's a lot more to this novel than meets the eye. I'm just not ready to feel frustrated at the moment. I need a feel good read. :) Still, I appreciate your review. I'll keep this one in mind for a future time.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
SKS94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sks94.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by SKS94 »

This sounds great! Your review makes it sound like a breath if fresh air to the stereotypical 'good, honest boy meets bad, damaged girl' story - I definitely want to read this.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

amadichizi wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 04:36 Great review! I'm now definitely interested in reading the book.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 07:06 This book offers alot as you point out. will sure be interested. Great review
Thanks!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

mac83 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 08:56 This sounds like a good book. Your review makes it sound like something I would quickly get pulled into and end up reading until I finished it. I like that it triggered such emotions. Those are my favorite types of books!
They're my favorite types too! Thanks for reading my review and commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:20 I agree completely that a novel should make you feel something strongly. It sounds like there's a lot more to this novel than meets the eye. I'm just not ready to feel frustrated at the moment. I need a feel good read. :) Still, I appreciate your review. I'll keep this one in mind for a future time.
I understand that! Sometimes, I'm in the mood for a feel-good read too. :) Thanks for commenting, and I hope you enjoy the book if you ever get to read it!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

SKS94 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:39 This sounds great! Your review makes it sound like a breath if fresh air to the stereotypical 'good, honest boy meets bad, damaged girl' story - I definitely want to read this.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Nothing like a Hollywood drama to provide a nice distraction. This sounds like a good writer with an difficult and important story to tell. I have a really good sense of this book from your summary and analysis. Beautiful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Eva Darrington wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 19:24 Nothing like a Hollywood drama to provide a nice distraction. This sounds like a good writer with an difficult and important story to tell. I have a really good sense of this book from your summary and analysis. Beautiful review.
Thank you, Eva! Yes, it was a very well written book, and the story was quite captivating. Thank you for reading my review and commenting.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

While this may sound like the traditional ‘good boy meets bad girl story,’ it is much more than that.
Interesting. Although I'd rather stay away from stereotypes, I've got to admit that I'm more used to the "good girl meets bad boy story." Thank you for your well-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”