Official Review: Kill Abby White! Now! by C.B. Huesing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Kill Abby White! Now! by C.B. Huesing

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kill Abby White! Now!" by C.B. Huesing.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

C.B. Huesing's Kill Abby White! Now! is a historical thriller following the lives of several friends whose paths first crossed in college when they witnessed a Mafia crime in 1929. For nearly twenty years and across the continents, their lives remain closely intertwined and forever changed.

Abby White is a twenty-two-year-old college senior when she and a group of friends are shot at after witnessing a Mafia crime, in Chicago. She and Dan, Karl, and Esther survive but are attacked again while they are still in protective custody prior to the Al Capone trial. Now afraid to trust anyone, they make plans to flee to Dan's family cottage, in Ireland. As a member of the Friends of New Germany organization, only Karl remains behind. After they escape to safety in Ireland, Abby, Dan, and Esther accept job offers respectively in Berlin, London, and Lyon. The three friends continue to stay in touch while building very different lives. Through the persuasion of a charismatic colleague, Dan gets entangled with a dangerous political group. Esther becomes a popular newspaper columnist and gets married. On assignment, Abby has her first encounter with Adolf Hitler, but it won't be her last...

This historical suspense was well-written and fast-paced. The author creatively crafted the plot around historically accurate events including the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, the Al Capone Trials, the Stock Market Crash, and the social climate in Germany during the rise and fall of Adolf Hitler. Hand-in-hand with the plot's historical facts and ongoing espionage, there was a quirky what-if scenario involving Hitler that was quite engaging. The characters were relatable and well-developed, especially the protagonist, Abby.

In fact, what I liked most about this book was the strong character portrayal of Abby. As a young journalist in the 1930s, she was savvy, ambitious, and self-assured. She was also very adept at thinking on her feet and often delivered witty one-liners that conjured images of movies depicting that era. I also appreciated the book's full-circle ending. Loose ends were tied, and everything was wrapped up with a bow in the epilogue.

I found no weaknesses to highlight in this intriguing read, and I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Though there are a handful of grammatical errors, they did not detract from my reading enjoyment. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction, espionage, and war-related stories. Though not graphic in nature, there is content related to the Holocaust which may not be suitable for sensitive readers.

Kill Abby White! Now!
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I like how the author weaves in several different historical events into one story. Even though it's a thriller, it also sounds like the perfect book for those who enjoy historical fiction. Nice job on the review.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Abby sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

ashley_claire wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 07:04 I like how the author weaves in several different historical events into one story. Even though it's a thriller, it also sounds like the perfect book for those who enjoy historical fiction. Nice job on the review.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 07:13 Abby sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for the review
Yes, she is. Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I feel really sorry for Abby and her friends. They are having a VERY difficult time. I know about Al Capone but not enough. Sounds like this is a very fun and enjoyable way to learn a bit more. I'll definitely put it on my list. Glad it's got some accuracy in there as well. That's important for a historical fiction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:05 Wow! I feel really sorry for Abby and her friends. They are having a VERY difficult time. I know about Al Capone but not enough. Sounds like this is a very fun and enjoyable way to learn a bit more. I'll definitely put it on my list. Glad it's got some accuracy in there as well. That's important for a historical fiction.
I think you'll enjoy it. Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
Bluegirl53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1077

Post by Bluegirl53 »

I have been looking at movies from and I am so sorry whatHitler did to all the people and I am happy at some the people was safe by other people :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bluegirl53 wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 09:52 I have been looking at movies from and I am so sorry whatHitler did to all the people and I am happy at some the people was safe by other people :tiphat:
Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think your writing style reflects the book. You do an excellent job of portraying the characteristics of the book. This sounds like an interesting historical fiction book. Thanks for the positive review!
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

I think this story really captures how one's life can change in just seconds. With the blend of historical fiction and crime, I think it'll be an awesome book. Thanks for the review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 16:24 I think your writing style reflects the book. You do an excellent job of portraying the characteristics of the book. This sounds like an interesting historical fiction book. Thanks for the positive review!
Thank you for your kind words.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Social Butterfly wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 18:59 I think this story really captures how one's life can change in just seconds. With the blend of historical fiction and crime, I think it'll be an awesome book. Thanks for the review
Thank you for your comment.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I've always liked historical fiction but I haven't really had the time to delve into it so this book will be another way to do that. The book really does sound quite captivating with different historical events and friends who have their own separate and intriguing individual lives but are a part of something bigger due to which their stories intertwine. At least that's what it sounds like to me. Your review really shows that you enjoyed it. Great work!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love crime thrillers and it is awesome to get a taste of different decades. I love different perspectives and the 1920s mobster and cop feel is iconic. Thanks for bringing my attention to this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”