Official Review: Wolf River Dreams by Patrick Sarver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Wolf River Dreams by Patrick Sarver

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wolf River Dreams" by Patrick Sarver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wolf River Dreams by Patrick Sarver is an intense mystery novel that features the paranormal with elements of romance. The narrative introduces readers to a troubled character whose hauntingly eerie visions and chilling nightmares take a toll on his life as he wrestles with the mental anguish, guilt, and grief eating him inside.

While driving his girlfriend home from their date, Jesse and Christine are involved in a fatal car crash, which claims Christine’s life. Jesse is shocked by this new reality and is left reeling with the pain of loss. He is soon overwhelmed by grief as his dreams are plagued by recurrent nightmares of the night his girlfriend died. To cope, he sets out on a year-long road trip with no real destination in mind. Upon his return home, he works on getting his life back together, even though he is still haunted and broken by the devastation the crash caused. Whilst attempting to piece his life together, Jesse’s old friend, Lenny, introduces him to an ambitious news reporter, who is new to their town, with a keen interest in unsolved mysteries from twenty years ago. Although initially unwilling to help with the cases, Jesse eventually comes around to assist the reporter with some of her investigations. Despite finding new distractions and gaining a sense of normalcy in his day-to-day life, the continuous torment of his increasingly disturbing nightmares and visions threaten Jesse’s mental stability by night. Will Jesse be able to overcome his struggles, or will the ghosts from his past, strange visions, and nightmares be his downfall? Additionally, will all the cold cases of his small town finally be solved?

In this novel, Sarver offers a finely constructed work of fiction. I appreciate how well-written and balanced the multiple genres in the story are and how the mash-up worked in complementing the overall storyline. The main character’s narration of his thoughts and feelings gives an intimate deep-dive into his state of mind. The beauty of this is that despite the enchanting paranormal aspects of the story, most of the character’s emotions and struggles are relatable.

The author’s remarkable use of description in depicting the main character’s ominous visions and dreams—which often left the character and I feeling a shared sense of dread and, at times, puzzlement of their true meaning—impressed me. I liked Jesse and his complexities as a character, and I especially enjoyed his dark sense of humor and cynicism. I also appreciated the well-drawn and distinct set of supporting characters whose personalities and interactions with the main character made things more interesting. Furthermore, the relationship development, dialogues, and interactions between the characters were all believable.

As the narrative progressed, I liked that it quickly gained an air of mystery and intensity that gripped my attention all the way to the end. The fact that there were more than one mystery to solve kept me actively engaged in drawing suspects and motives from the clues presented. I loved that as the narrative drew to a conclusion, the rise in suspense and build of tension had me on the edge of my seat expecting the worst but hoping for the best.

All in all, the author skillfully weaved a thrilling and memorable read, which I’m happy to rate 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to anyone looking for a captivating read with interesting twists and turns. Fans of whodunits who have a taste for the paranormal experience will definitely enjoy sinking their teeth into Wolf River Dreams as well. I will mention that although the book appeared to be professionally edited, I did find minor errors that were overlooked. But the errors were few and didn’t detract from my overall experience with this novel.

Wolf River Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Your review has made me want to read this right away! It sounds amazing. I am particularly interested in the mixing of genres and the rich characters. Often paranormal stories can be cheesy or lacking in character development. But this book sounds quite well written. Thank you, I really enjoy reading your thoughts on this book.
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

I don't tend to read paranormal stories that often, but I feel like this is something I'd read and enjoy. Especially the psychological aspects involving Jesse's grief over his girlfriend's death.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a book."
- J.K. Rowling
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Unlike a paranormal read to me it feels more like a psychological thriller. I love it but I think people who don't appreciate the dark reads should avoid this book. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't imagine how the crash would affect his life. Then the dreams/visions that recurred. I'm interested to see where the author goes with this one. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author chose an extremely emotional theme for this book. I really enjoyed how you described the plot and the characters. You have a very interesting writing style. Thanks for the excellent review.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I was hooked right from the start of your review! I can imagine how in depth the characters are and how realistic the emotions would be considering the tragic topic of loss. It sounds very intriguing and the way you described it seems like it'll be a great read and hard to put down. I'll add this to my reading list, thank you!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love a well constructed fictional book. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This sounds so interesting! It's hard often hard to create believable and relatable experiences in a book that centers on something that a lot of people don't consider real, and I think the multiple mysteries add more entertainment and an alternative storyline for the readers. You review really depicts the expertise of the author so thank you for the great review!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I know I will enjoy reading this book, the marriage between paranormal events/ the main characters visions and realistic characters and dialogue makes the story grounded. I can't wait to see how this story unfolds, look forward to experiencing this read.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”