Official Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Official Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter

Post by britt13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Killing of Cristobel Tranter" by Dennis Talbot.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are searching for a great historical fiction or crime mystery then Dennis Talbot’s, The Killing of Cristobel Tranter, is for you! I was immediately drawn into the book because the main character, Will Dexter, has a great history and a fascinating job. He is a police constable who right off the bat finds a dead body of a woman. This novel expertly mixes Dexter’s home life, past, and the thrilling police work necessary to find the killer!

One of the things I found most impressive about this novel was the dialogue. Dialogue can make or break a book, and Talbot did a wonderful job of making it feel authentic. I enjoyed the quirky slang and period appropriate wording. It also really helped in character building because it created dynamic characters.

Will Dexter is an extremely likable character. His dedication to doing his job well, paired with his treatment of the deceased, was incredibly refreshing. I loved how this novel did not only focus on his work life, but also his home life. He was so tender and loving to his wife. A great deal of the book is also set in flashback memories of his childhood during the Great War (World War I). It gives a glimpse into where his hard work ethic and loving nature come from.

While I absolutely loved the plot of this story, I found many issues with formatting and grammar. It was not a good sign when I found ten errors in just the first twenty or so pages. I also found there to be an excessive use of commas. While commas can help to create dynamic sentences and assist with the flow, it became distracting with how many sentences seemed to just go on forever. I did find, however, that some of the words that I thought were incorrectly spelled were not. Words like “cosy” and “realise” look wrong to me, but are in fact the British spelling. When it came to the formatting it was just an issue of extra spaces throughout different sentences.

It is very hard for me to rate this book; I was so fond of the characters and plot but I can not ignore the errors. I wish that a proper editing had been implemented because that would have solidified a perfect score. As it stands, I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. While it did have the errors, I would still recommend it to others.

The Killing of Cristobel Tranter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like britt13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I'm glad to hear that the lack of professional editing did not keep you from recommending this book to others. Oftentimes I find that lack of editing is enough to deter most readers. It also sounds like this is a very well written story that warmly and respectfully honors female murder victims. If you like this type of story I would recommend "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders".
:character-ariel:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a captivating crime mystery. Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I lover a good crime story and I like the sound of this book. Plus, being British, the spelling works in my favour on this occasion! :D
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Alicia09 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 18:25 I'm glad to hear that the lack of professional editing did not keep you from recommending this book to others. Oftentimes I find that lack of editing is enough to deter most readers. It also sounds like this is a very well written story that warmly and respectfully honors female murder victims. If you like this type of story I would recommend "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders".
Thank you for the recommendation!
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:49 This sounds like a captivating crime mystery. Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
Thanks so much! I hope you get a chance to read it and enjoy it as much as I did!
britt13

Post by britt13 »

Julie Green wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 13:55 I lover a good crime story and I like the sound of this book. Plus, being British, the spelling works in my favour on this occasion! :D
Well, that works out great! I knew a few of them (British spellings) but a few were totally new to me. I enjoyed learning something!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This looks like a good mystery novel. Much Errors put most readers off a book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Sounds like I would enjoy this crime story. I do not mind the British spellings, as I still get letters from home. I enjoyed the review.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

Thanks for your review. It sounds like an intriguing book. I can relate to the confusion when British words and spellings are used as they can throw some of us off. I like what you said about the dialogue, and I think I would appreciate this book.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great plot with well-written characters. This might be a good mystery for me.
lady-libro
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by lady-libro »

Re: Official Review: The Killing of Cristobel Tranter
Thank you for the honest review. Poor editing can turn many readers off. However, if they are aware of the difference in spelling and colloquial references ahead of time, they will not get hung up on them. I really appreciate how you describe the main character. I entered the book already liking him which made the story that much more enjoyable. It was a well written review that covered the high points without giving anything away.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

What a great point to make about how the author shared scenes related to both the constable's home and work. Often it seems authors treat characters as if their crime-fighting is all they do, ignoring the fact that they must go home sometimes to be with their wife and children. Sharing the constable's home life would help make him a relatable and well-rounded character.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”