Review by centfie -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Review by centfie -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sophy Chunge »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pancake Money is an appropriate title for Finn Bell's book since the exact phrase of the title appears severally in the narrative. The prelude to the novel is a creepy poetic verse that introduces us to the "Before" of the events that transpire in the novel. I understood the poem when I read it again after finishing the book. It is very relevant to the story.

Bobby Ress is the major character in Pancake Money. He works with Pollo, who is the source of the phrase "pancake money" and all the metaphorical sense that reveals itself in the story. The two men face a difficult case of a serial murderer who seems obsessed with elderly Catholic priests. The victims have nothing but good standing in the society. The core philosophy which guides their investigation is the idea that the murders are either committed due to power, money or sex. So, they seek to find the motive of the killer. They suspect that the crimes are committed by a group of people given the terrifying positions that the victims are found in. The story is quite intriguing due to the unexpected turn of events that the author pens with utmost skill.

As much as it is a disturbing story, the author manages to throw in bits of humor here and there. Horrendous parts of the story are followed by a tranquil part to calm down the reader. For instance, every time Ress goes to work, he returns home to spend time with his family and at some point, they make pancakes together! Also, Finn Bell clearly outlines the plot chronologically. Flashbacks are clearly flashbacks since most of the book is written using the present tense. Pancake Money depicts themes of revenge, murder, family, friendship, and religion.

I was impressed by this novel. What with the witty dialogues and suspenseful narration that made me turn the pages to feed my curiosity! Pancake Money deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for the good metaphors, the congruent flow of ideas, and the lack of significant grammatical errors. I did come across some petty mistakes which did not have a significant impact on the story e.g. Pollo's words on page 19 miss closing quotation marks- “Everyone should have someone special.”

Pancake Money is not a horror story. It fits under the psychological thriller, murder or crime category. There are isolated events of pure horror which you may be tempted to skim through quickly lest you confuse fiction with reality. The reader who hates sad stories of death and horrible acts like murder and sodomy should pass this. Finn Bell's book is not for the faint of heart. Sickening things happen to vulnerable people such as children, old priests, and old women. As for the readers who like novels that make them hold their breath out of fear, disgust or anxiety, then this book will stimulate their minds.

Pancake Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like centfie's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”