Official Review: Believe What You Want To Believe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Re: Official Review: Believe What You Want To Believe

Post by DancingLady »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 07:34 The way you approach this it almost seems like it's based on a true story. Since it's in the Crime/Thriller genre, I'm going to guess it isn't. In which case, I just don't think I could handle the graphic nature of the story. It sounds pretty appalling as far as what the children had to endure, and I just can't stomach something like that. Thanks for sharing this one with us, though.
This was based on a true story. The author states so in the beginning and states that the writing was begun for personal therapy.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I think this book is too intense and heartbrokening for me to read. Well done on reading this and for your review!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This is an intense subject that I usually shy away from reading about. I can see how some might benefit from looking at it though. Thanks for your review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your thorough review.

The book seems to be a very troubling read, so your initial warning is quite relevant and helpful. Indeed, atrocities such as those described in the piece are more heartbreaking and more deplorable if done by those we trust. Any form of abuse, harm, or any form of undue disadvantage onto others is and should not be tolerated but instead resolved and dealt with regardless of whoever the perpetrator is. Care and caution must be taken, though, not to readily generalise or judge everyone just because of the identified misdeeds of a few. It would help to think that we are all humans who err in one way or another, although in a varying manner, frequency, nature, or volume; yet, we were still deemed worthy of a chance at redemption. I do hope that justice prevails and things get resolved in this fictional work as well as in real life eventually and ideally.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

Thank you for such a well thought out review! This book certainly seems unsettling. I agree that most people struggle with what they want to believe versus the truth of the matter. Seems like a good read, albeit scary at times.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

If it is a true story then it is definitely my read. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This book is disturbing but I will risk reading this because the truth cannot be left unheeded. Thanks for the informative review with cautions.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Seven Day Switch
Bookshelf Size: 2394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This seems like a heart-wrenching and scary read but I think it´s worth it. I grew up in the Catholic church, and even if it´s not all negative, I can´t deny those horrible things can happen when the wrong people get placed in powerful positions. I´m glad the subject of abuse is brought up because we need to open our eyes and learn in order to improve as a society.
Thanks for a great review. I also thank you for the warnings, these subjects, although crucial, are not suitable for everyone.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am not a fan of reading books that are violent and graphic with children as its subject. I appreciate the value this kind of book can have as a warning to be careful and a road to understanding how someone may find themselves stuck in a certain situation, but I cannot shake it for days and days. Thanks for the review.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I can see how it would be therapeutic (also daunting) to write this book, and I can also see how this book good be controversial and difficult for younger readers. It is important to be cautious, especially with those in powerful positions who could easily take advantage of children. I feel heartbroken for those who have experienced similar situations. Thanks for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is so unfortunate that anyone, more so a child should go through such horrendous torture. I hope the justice caught up with the perpetrators. Thanks for the thorough review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I am glad you made it very clear that this book was dark, intense and disturbing. I found this to be a very clear, compelling review on quite a difficult topic.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Wow - thanks for the honest review and being upfront about what this book is about. I'm not sure if this is a book I would read - just too plain scary
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Thank you for your honest review. The book is emotionally training and I'm pretty sure that it is difficult to read as well. It can't be easy to witness such horrific scenes of abuse and satanic rituals.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”