Official Review: Believe What You Want To Believe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Believe What You Want To Believe

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Believe What You Want To Believe" by Alicia Kristine and George Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Believe What You Want to Believe. Ultimately, this is a choice every person makes when it comes to difficult realities and shocking revelations. It is also the title of a book by Alicia Kristine and George Williams. This book is based on a true story and was originally written for personal therapy. This story deals with the painful and horrific subjects of child abuse and Satanic ritual and children facing abuse when the perpetrator is a trusted and admired Catholic priest. Because of the nature of this story, I feel it is appropriate to include my cautionary statements right away. This book contains descriptions of abuse from the perspective of a grade-school aged child and many incidents of violence, including murder and Satanic ritual, as witnessed by a child. This book is not appropriate for readers under 18 and I would personally advise all potential readers to approach this book with caution and be prepared for a number of highly disturbing scenes.

Sean Murphy, the youngest of seven children and his closest sister Janie are grade-school aged children when the story begins. One of their older brothers, Jason, is a troubled teen who has gotten into drugs. At the recommendation of their Priest, Father Paul, he is sent to a camp to get off drugs and get straightened out. Father Paul has gained great admiration in his church community through the work he is doing with youth. Jason's experience at the camp, however, is anything but positive. In spite of his odd behavior and the pleas for help he makes through his younger brother, the parents fail to recognize any warning signs. It isn't long before Father Paul creates an in for himself in the Murphy home through another troubled young man called Ziggy. Ziggy managed to gain the trust of Mr. and Mrs. Murphy, but his activities bring drugs and eventually violence to the home. Sean and Janie are witnesses to this violence and are threatened. As the story progresses, we see a chain of events that leaves these two children vulnerable to abuse from both Ziggy and Father Paul, and without any viable options to avoid or escape their situation.

With the many stories that have come out in recent years regarding child abuse by Catholic priests, many people have found the courage to speak up about their own experience, while many others have faced the shocking revelation that someone they trusted was not who he seemed. At the same time, many people may be wondering how such cases of abuse were allowed to occur and why so many victims remained silent for years and even decades. This story masterfully answers many of those questions. Having grown up in a Protestant church, I have little personal knowledge of the Catholic church and no personal experience in the Catholic church community. Through the story of Sean, Janie, and the Murphy family, I gained a great deal of insight into the series of events and circumstances that would lead a child victim to believe he or she has no way out. Sean and Janie are conditioned to believe the threats of their abusers by being forced to witness acts of violence. When they are later told that their family will all be killed if they tell, they have reason to believe that Father Paul or Ziggy can and will carry out that threat. With stories as shocking and outlandish as Father Paul practicing Satanism and including them in Satanic rituals, who would believe two children over the word of a trusted church leader? Sadly, their experiences with the police also lead them to believe that they would not be taken seriously and protected if they shared the knowledge and evidence they have.

While this story took place in the 1970s, there are many lessons to learn and apply today. We may never know how many children were victimized by a priest or other trusted person in their life and community, nor will we likely know if one of our co-workers or acquaintances was one of those victims. After reading this story, I have a greater appreciation for the struggles victims continue to face for the rest of their lives. I hope this book, difficult though it was to read, can help many others develop a greater sense of compassion and understanding for the suffering of others.

I have very little to criticize in this book except to say that I would have appreciated a brief warning statement regarding the disturbing scenes within the story, as this would have helped me prepare myself mentally and emotionally. I found very few errors in the text and the writing style and quality is superb. I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to adults who are ready to learn about the kind of experiences child abuse victims have faced and some of the long-term effects it can have.

Believe What You Want To Believe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is a very painful and thorny issue. I appreciate your honest and insightful review. Thanks for the recommendation. :tiphat:
rainydaysc64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 834
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydaysc64.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler
Reading Device: B00OZTU156

Post by rainydaysc64 »

Thank you for your honest review of this book, which seems to be very prevelant to talk about today. It’s definitely a tough subject to read about and I agree with you that books need a warning to let you know what type of book your about to get into if that information isn’t already in the summary of the book.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Thank you for writing such an honest review. I tend to gravitate towards stories that deal with heavy subject matter, so I am not surprised that these stories would be filled with disturbing scenes. As disturbing as the scenes may have been in this story, I think it is important that the authors had the courage to come forward with their story because they can inspire other survivors to do the same.
I also find it interesting that one of their abusers was both a priest and a practitioner of Satanic rituals. I would be curious to read this book just to find out how one of the priests managed to be both Catholic and Satanic at the same time, without anyone finding out.
Does the author include any follow up information on whether or not the abusers were ever arrested or fired from their jobs?
:character-ariel:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Such a sad issue in our world today. To not even be able to trust people you think you could put your trust in, is so hurtful. I don't think I am in an emotional state where I could read something like this right now, but I appreciate your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Alicia09 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 13:39 Thank you for writing such an honest review. I tend to gravitate towards stories that deal with heavy subject matter, so I am not surprised that these stories would be filled with disturbing scenes. As disturbing as the scenes may have been in this story, I think it is important that the authors had the courage to come forward with their story because they can inspire other survivors to do the same.
I also find it interesting that one of their abusers was both a priest and a practitioner of Satanic rituals. I would be curious to read this book just to find out how one of the priests managed to be both Catholic and Satanic at the same time, without anyone finding out.
Does the author include any follow up information on whether or not the abusers were ever arrested or fired from their jobs?
I’m afraid I can’t reveal this as it would be a spoiler.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It sounds like a scary book, with satanic rituals and all. And now that l have learned it's based on the true story, I'm even more afraid to read it. Interesting review!
ttstrong1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ttstrong1234 »

A brisk and simple read yet an exasperating window into the corruption and debasement on account of the Catholic Church. This story is about predators who work at the largest amount of open trust however focus on the most helpless. Furthermore, these predators are directly before us. This story is additionally about the destruction these predators abandon them, the lives they crush and the proceeding with battle their casualties need to manage to have a typical life thereafter...not everybody is fruitful. It makes one wonder, "What number of others are there who have stayed silent in light of the fact that they figured no one would trust them?" I have known the writer, George Williams, for around 20 years and had not the scarcest trace of his childhood until the point when I read his book.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I can only imagine the courage it would take for someone to speak/write about these experiences. I am not sure I can handle reading this book, but it is good that it exist because it can be very informative. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The scariest thing for me about this is that it's always been part of human life. Accounts of Greek and Roman history, societies that we -- at least in America -- are taught are examples of advanced cultures, is frighteningly full of this. Hmm, Persia as well. Everywhere. It's taken as normal in so many places that children are objects for sexual use. Is it really accepted?! We read true stories like this, and are horrified but it still keeps happening. Over and over and over.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

This is a heavy book that deals with a topic that is current in today's news. I'm glad that such a book exists and I think it will be an informative read, especially for those who wants to understand more about how this kind of thing happened.Thank you for your detailed review :techie-studyinggray:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The way you approach this it almost seems like it's based on a true story. Since it's in the Crime/Thriller genre, I'm going to guess it isn't. In which case, I just don't think I could handle the graphic nature of the story. It sounds pretty appalling as far as what the children had to endure, and I just can't stomach something like that. Thanks for sharing this one with us, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I was raised in the Catholic church and many times I have whispered a prayer of thanks for my protection. While I was not subjected to what many have gone through at the hands of those who are supposed leaders of this religion, I can say that I could easily see it happen as most of us were told to follow the rules and keep our mouths shut. As an adult, I fled that as quickly as I could because nothing seemed real to me. So, a book like this is important not only for those who have gone through such things but also for those who don't understand why it would happen in the first place. Your review was great! I cannot read the material though as the graphic nature would probably make me not sleep at night.
Everything happens for a reason...
thisisA

Post by thisisA »

Thank you for this review, it really gives me an understanding about what I am about to read..I think I am prepared to read a subject like this, however I know that it may be difficult but I still want to have clarity about what some of the Catholic church victims have been through. What interests me, is being able to see it through the eyes of a child who is experiencing it at the time. I do not believe I have seen a book quite like this. :geek2:
kbdgreat

Post by kbdgreat »

It sounds like a scary book, with satanic rituals and all. And now that l have learned it's based on the true story, I'm even more afraid to read it. Interesting review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”