Review by Kemunto lucy -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Review by Kemunto lucy -- The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kemunto lucy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Embalmer" by Vincent Zandri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is a creepy killer on the loose. He is an unemployed ex-funeral home worker. The killer has the skills required to commit the murders. His target is only women. He considers his killings as an art. The Embalmer: A Steve Jobz Thriller is a C/T/M/H action-packed thriller. It is written by Vincent Zandri.

Steve Jobz is a former police who currently works at the New York State Department of Unemployment Insurance Fraud. Jobz finds his job boring and he tolerates being there. Rescue comes his way when the police ask him to help them in finding a wanted killer. His work entails investigating the killer's records and hopefully, finding the leads to who the killer might be. The killer is a messed up person who kills women by embalming them while they are still alive. He enjoys doing this as we see him going ahead to embalm his dead victims so that, they look alive for body viewing. Jobz has a difficult job in finding the culprit which will eventually stop the murders. His investigative skills are needed at best. Will he succed in tracking down this psycho killer?

As I started reading this book, I expected to see a lot of murder scenes taking place but I was pleasantly surprised. When I got deeper into my reading, I realized that some of the murders were committed before and were in the records. It is evident that there is a theme of murder in the novel. Steve Jobz is helping the police in identifying a murderer.

The Embalmer is a read-in-one-sitting book. I loved the author's writing style. The plot is suspenseful and it got me hooked into the book and I couldn't put it down. The characters are well developed and each did the best in their respective roles. The story is fast-faced, which I like and a short read too. The characters are all distinct and it is easy to follow up on each one of them. My favorite character was Jobz. He doesn't take himself too seriously. His sardonic trait just makes things easier. The witty dialogues between the characters is great, especially between Jobz and Miller. The humor in Jobz brought things to life, I literally laughed out loud. The unexpected ending makes you crave for more.

I found a few demerits in this book. I figured out who the killer is halfway through the book. I expected to be in suspense until the very end. There were also errors in grammar and punctuation, this didn't much interfere with my reading though.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars since it is a really great novel and a good start for a great series. The intense suspense and the action will compel you to look out for the next book in this series. I recommend it to people who love detective thrillers involving murder. It's worth the read.

The Embalmer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kemunto lucy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Oh no! While I was reading your review, you had me sold on the book until I came onto your second to last paragraph that said you figured out who the killer was halfway through the book. It's my ultimate pet peeve in any mystery book :cry: I'll have to pass on the book :doh:
Kemunto lucy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

:
Allyseria wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 19:30 Oh no! While I was reading your review, you had me sold on the book until I came onto your second to last paragraph that said you figured out who the killer was halfway through the book. It's my ultimate pet peeve in any mystery book :cry: I'll have to pass on the book :doh:
:D it's still worth a shot.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Nice review there! Good to see you liked the book too. :) It is definitely a fine suspense thriller and a great one for a start. However, I felt it gave away the criminal too early in the book. I zeroed in on the killer easily due to the absence of too many characters in the book. In fact, I felt the author has described each character quite elaborately. Guessing was not difficult even before the suspense began. What say?
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
Kemunto lucy

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Kinkini wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 01:34 Nice review there! Good to see you liked the book too. :) It is definitely a fine suspense thriller and a great one for a start. However, I felt it gave away the criminal too early in the book. I zeroed in on the killer easily due to the absence of too many characters in the book. In fact, I felt the author has described each character quite elaborately. Guessing was not difficult even before the suspense began. What say?
I agree with you. Thanks for your feedback.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”