Official Review: Taxi Driver by Mark C Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Taxi Driver by Mark C Brown

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taxi Driver" by Mark C Brown.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Taxi Driver by Mark C. Brown is a crime/thriller book about a taxi cab driver in Washington, DC who discovers a plot against the US President. The book follows cab driver, Gino, as he tries to help the police solve the conspiracy.

Gino often talks with his customers as he gives them rides to their destination. Sometimes Gino even eavesdrops on unsuspecting patrons while they talk on the phone or to fellow passengers. It’s hard to imagine what types of sensitive information cab drivers hear on a daily basis but Gino learns of a menacing plot that he believes the higher brass of the military are involved in. Gino feels compelled to learn more and help apprehend the assailants.

This book is a look inside the life of a taxi cab driver. Many stories and movies have been written about this subject. The taxi universe is the service industry on steroids, with drivers encountering humanity, sometimes behaving its worst. Often times the drivers are treated poorly, like servants, and it’s often a thankless job. Gino overhears something he shouldn’t have overheard, most likely because the patrons do not realize he is listening. Personally, I feel like the story lacks originality and is not realistic at all. Also, I felt the interaction between the characters was not believable and the narrative often did not flow easily. The worst thing about the book were the countless grammatical errors. The book was poorly edited. It was easily the worst edited book I have ever read. To just provide a few examples, many times the wrong word was used like “how” instead of “owe” or “come” instead of “comb”. There were also many spelling errors and run on sentences.

I did like Gino’s character in the book. I felt like he was a good guy trying to do the right thing even if it compromised his own safety. He felt compelled to help catch the bad guys, even if it placed him in danger.

In summary, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Based on the terrible editing and lack of originality of the story, I just can’t rate it any higher. I think with some professional editing; the book could be much better. The constant errors were very distracting throughout the story. For readers who are looking for a unique and believable story, this would not be a good pick. For those who are not distracted by editing errors and like to read about the plight of the taxi driver, this may be a good selection. Overall, I just can’t recommend this book with any enthusiasm.

Taxi Driver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Alas! I felt the book had potential, but I couldn't possibly get past the distracting editorial issues. Thank you for the honest and thorough review.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

It is a shame the book had so many errors and didn't branch out to bring a new concept to the world of taxi driving. I think I would be like Gino, though, if I were a taxi driver. I'd probably eavesdrop on conversations without even meaning to because what else are you going to do to pass the time?
Mac :techie-reference:
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

As soon as I read your first few sentences I was thinking the book sounded like a way over-done concept. I expected it to be more of a farce than anything as I can see it being made into a movie structured that way. "The plight of the taxi driver" doesn't interest me. I will definitely be passing on what sounds like a mediocre story with very poor editing.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm sure there are many stories about taxi cab drivers, ironically I don't believe I have ever read one. The mediocre plot and poor editing is going to have me pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I thought the plot sounded interesting until I read about the editorial issues. Thank you for your honest review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The unrealistic quality is a turn off. Thank you for the review though.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Despite you mentioning that this concept is overdone, somehow I have managed to have never heard of any of them :lol: I would have liked to read about the life of a taxi driver, though I can't imagine how it could be entwined in a murder mystery genre?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”