Review by Nimat87 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nimat87
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Nimat87 -- Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler...

Post by Nimat87 » 27 Aug 2018, 10:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders" by Brian E. Forschner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the early 1900s, Dayton, Ohio is suddenly haunted by a savage personality who terrorizes the city's women. Bodies revealing brutal murders, immediately followed by sexual assaults, are discovered at one point or the other, and in different parts of the city during this period. Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders tells the story of the gruesome murders of five young ladies namely Ada Lantz, Dona Gilman, Anna Markowitz, Elizabeth Fulhart, and Mary Forschner, who turns out to be the author's great aunt and whose discovery instigates his further investigation of these cases. These murders occur within a decade and are followed by a failed attempt, which leads to the arrest of the culprit, Smith White.

With the use of available materials (such as newspaper accounts, autopsies, death certificates and summary of trials), Forschner endeavors to paint a true picture of the life and death of each victim. He reveals to us the routines, dreams, and family dynamics in each situation, giving us a deep understanding of the young women.

The author reveals various societal ills of that period. One prevalent one is the blaming and shaming of women for being raped. This is evident in the preacher's choice of words when addressing his congregation after almost every case. Even in eleven-year-old Ada Lantz's case, the press and pulpit use words such as 'modesty' and 'chastity' to assure the masses that she is actually free of blame. The other victims are not so lucky as they are indirectly demonized even after death. This also hindered the swift arrest of the culprit as some women were ashamed to come forward to report an assault. Another issue addressed was the economic climate of this period, which forced the mass movement of families to an unsafe environment in search of jobs, and forced young ladies out to assist with finances at home. The inability of the police to tackle these cases effectively due to the unavailability of some modern aids, sloppiness of officials, and personal interests is also largely addressed.

I appreciate the fact that the author makes extensive use of researched facts in this book. This renders it much more realistic and makes it easier for the reader to empathize with the victims and their families. Moreover, it was suspense-filled. I was greatly relieved when justice was finally served at the end of the book. I also like the descriptive use of language. It really expanded my imagination and gave me a sense of being present in each situation.

I rate Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders 4 out of 4 stars. Although it elicits sad emotions, it is definitely worth reading. I only noticed a few errors in the book, but these did not adversely affect it. I recommend this to readers who enjoy stories based on historical occurrences, murder, and detective investigation.

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nimat87's review? Post a comment saying so!
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 27 Aug 2018, 17:59

I commend the author for continuing the investigation of these very ugly and gruesome murders that happened to these four women. It is such a pity that women were blamed for rape during those days. This is still being done in today's world. Thank you for your very comprehensive review of this book.

Nimat87
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 » 28 Aug 2018, 02:02

crediblereading2 wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:59
I commend the author for continuing the investigation of these very ugly and gruesome murders that happened to these four women. It is such a pity that women were blamed for rape during those days. This is still being done in today's world. Thank you for your very comprehensive review of this book.
It's like you read my mind! I completely agree with your views, especially the fact that women are still blamed for rape in today's world. Thanks for taking time to comment.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

aldapitka
Favorite Book: A Killer's Mind
Currently Reading: The Orb
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldapitka.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by aldapitka » 24 Feb 2019, 20:28

I thought this was an amazing book. The author, Brian E. Forschner, did a great job of capturing the attitudes towards rape in the early 20th century. Additionally, he addressed the greed and discrimination, both racial and economic, that evolved around these cases. Your review is well-written and I agree with your 4 out of 4 star rating.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”