Official Review: Steel Toes and Teeth by Jerry Parrish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: Steel Toes and Teeth by Jerry Parrish

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steel Toes and Teeth" by Jerry Parrish.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Working in a train-wrecking yard may be a little dangerous, especially if you don’t follow the safety procedures. But if accidents keep occurring and more people keep on dying, you may start wondering if they are really because of the laxity of the deceased on following the safety rules, or something else is going on. Jerry Parrish will clear that suspicion in his action thriller book Steel Toes and Teeth.

In this story, Daniel Palmer, a reporter of the Tribune, is sent to work undercover at the Kohlberg Corporation Factory to get any clues about the “accidents” that have been occurring there. Little did he know what he was getting himself into; otherwise, he would have decided to leave for his deserved vacation to Colorado. What is the cause of these “accidents”? Will Daniel Palmer suffer one of these “accidents” too? You will find the answers in Parrish’s book.

In his first book, Parrish’s characters are realistically portrayed. On one hand, you have Daniel Palmer whose dream is to ascend to a better position at work and have an opportunity to show what a great reporter he can be. On the other hand, you have José whose main goal is to take care of his friends. The other characters are less fleshed out but add flavor to the story as salt and pepper.

At the end of the book, it is mentioned that Parrish used to work at a train-wrecking yard in his youth, and there is no doubt about it because he mastered to convey the forlorn reality of this place as the background of his story. The strenuous work these people have to do on a daily basis to be able to provide food for their families is unimaginable. I could picture the place in my mind perfectly and could relate to these hard workers. How Parrish captivates the reality of this kind of job was what I enjoyed the most reading.

Nevertheless, the pace of the story was surreal, in my personal opinion. Daniel Palmer goes to this factory to investigate why there are so many “accidents,” and he discovers why and how in less than five days. I know it is a fictional story, but unless he is blessed with good fortune, I don’t understand how he is so lucky to be in the correct place and time so many occasions. I just couldn’t believe this part. Besides, the book has some parts in Spanish, but they aren’t written coherently. I know because I write and speak Spanish fluently.

All in all, the story is easy to read and enjoyable. It makes the reader ponder what he/she would do in order to feed their families. I don’t want to spill the beans here, but there were also insights into some political and social issues that happen very often in some countries. Therefore, I recommend this story to people that care about political and social issues. However, if you like action stories, or if you’re interested in journalism, you’ll like it too. Warning: there is violence and gore. In sum, I rate this story 3 out of 4 stars.

Steel Toes and Teeth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good book that paints a realistic nature. There seems to be a lot going on in this read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Odd that the Spanish is written coherently. I'm not interested in this book, but I appreciate your review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Journalists are recruited to be a curious and to expose the scandalous things. This book is definitely to read to me. Thanks for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Victor Afam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victor Afam »

l love the book title but the choice of words is half a serious. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's kind of like movies. Sometimes you have to put aside your disbelief to enjoy what's going on in the story. Sounds fairly engaging with important topics for today's world. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 06:50 I like a good book that paints a realistic nature. There seems to be a lot going on in this read. Thank you for your review!
The background seems quite real. Pick it up and read it if you like action thrillers.

AmySmiles wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 07:10 Odd that the Spanish is written coherently. I'm not interested in this book, but I appreciate your review.
I know what you mean. It just irks me when I see some obvious mistakes. However, the author did his best to translate from English to Spanish. In his defense, Spanish is not an easy language because of the tense conjugations. Aside from that, the book is a great read if you like this genre.

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 07:29 Journalists are recruited to be a curious and to expose the scandalous things. This book is definitely to read to me. Thanks for your review.
Indeed, journalists are made for that. Satisfy your curiosity and expose the truth behind these "accidents."

Victor Afam wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 08:41 l love the book title but the choice of words is half a serious. Thanks.
It´s a fast read indeed. Thanks for commenting.

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 14:50 It's kind of like movies. Sometimes you have to put aside your disbelief to enjoy what's going on in the story. Sounds fairly engaging with important topics for today's world. Thanks for the review.
I know what you mean. Thanks for the advice. I´ll try harder.
Felicidad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felicidad »

The title of this book really called my attention. I wonder about it.
Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”