Official Review: Easier to Lie by Stephanie Allen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Easier to Lie by Stephanie Allen

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Easier to Lie" by Stephanie Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Easier to Lie by Stephanie Allen is a contemporary novel about two teenage girls who spend the summer in Myrtle Beach after graduating high school. Reggie (short for Regina) and Leah are best friends and happy to be on their own at Leah’s parents’ vacation condo.

It’s a good time to get away from their hometown a few hours away. In separate occurrences, two teenage girls went missing there and were found murdered. Based on the evidence, the police suspect a serial killer is on the loose. Once Reggie and Leah arrive in Myrtle Beach, dead bodies start piling up there with the same modus operandi.

I found it difficult to put down this character-driven book which contains a blend of themes - romance, mystery, friendship, mental illness, and family dynamics. Written in first person, the story is narrated by Reggie. I liked the way the facets of her personality are revealed throughout the story. She initially comes across as a typical self-conscious teenager. As the plot progresses, it turns out Reggie’s issues go much deeper.

Much of the plot focuses on the girls’ romantic pursuits. Reggie is busy falling for two different guys – Frankie, her high school crush who is in Myrtle Beach on vacation, and Eric, who lives in the condo next door. Leah gets hot and heavy with Adam, who she’s had a crush on for years.

The murder mystery feels like a minor sub-plot at times as the girls’ romantic entanglements take center stage. Reggie and Leah seem much more concerned with their respective romances than the fact that girls are turning up dead, first in their hometown and now where they are spending the summer. I found their reactions unrealistic, as well as their parents’. Reggie and Leah are upset each time a body is discovered; however, the initial shock wears off quickly and they don’t seem frightened. You would think they would be afraid to stay alone at the condo or that their parents would insist they return home.

The storyline is full of twists and turns in the latter sections of the story. The climax is busy as a few plotlines come to a head at the same time. Although several loose ends are tied up, one key issue is left unresolved.

I spotted approximately eight errors throughout the book, including typos, incorrect tense, a word that should be capitalized (August), and missing/incorrect words. Although the errors aren’t too distracting, a good polishing is needed.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to teenagers who enjoy romance novels and mysteries. Although I was less than satisfied with the ending, this is an engrossing story with well-drawn characters.

Easier to Lie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

How is Reggie short for Regina LOL. The story sounds interesting but the unresolved key issue, typos and such would annoy me. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around two teenage girls, romantic entanglements, and murders sounds intriguing. Too bad about the errors and the disappointing ending. A bad ending can ruin the book for me, so I don't think it is for me. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its flaws. Great review as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

Seems intriguing.I like a book with a dash of mystery and horror.Though I wouldn't be too quick to pick it up,where it that both the girls end up dead,then it would be a different story
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate books that have an ending that isn't quite up to par. Sometimes it feels like you wasted your time reading the whole story. Nevertheless, I love the plot of this one. It definitely makes for a good story. Thanks for a thorough review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Romance and mystery are my favourite genres. Needless to say that your review made me to want to check this out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone! Amy, I also thought Reggie was an odd nickname for Regina - it's a boy's name! The ending was so busy I had to reread certain parts and the motive for the murders was never explained. This bothered me.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I found it difficult to put down this character-driven book which contains a blend of themes - romance, mystery, friendship, mental illness, and family dynamics. Written in first person, the story is narrated by Reggie. I liked the way the facets of her personality are revealed throughout the story. She initially comes across as a typical self-conscious teenager. As the plot progresses, it turns out Reggie’s issues go much deeper.
I love the blending of these genres. This sounds like an engaging story. I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 14:36
I love the blending of these genres. This sounds like an engaging story. I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks Cecilia_L for taking the time to read my review! Although the story kept me engaged, I think the mix of themes made it a little busy. For example, there was so much else going on that the serial killer plot got thrown to the background for long stretches.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Teenage girls romantically entangled and murder mysteries are too issues I like in this book. However, the unresolved issue and the errors had turned me off. Thanks for your candid review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Oh boy, two murdered teenage girls and a possible serial killer? Sounds like an exciting read! I love that it was difficult to put down this book, and that the characters seemed to have been developed well. However, I agree, that if I were in Reggie's or Leah's shoes, I would be definitely be afraid and the fact that their fear wears off quickly does seem unrealistic. Too bad about the errors, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the detailed review. A book about youth males books interesting to me.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”