Review by Shrabastee -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review by Shrabastee -- Gringo

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“…but to succeed as a fugitive, you have to live many lives simultaneously…” – My Life on The Edge as an International Fugitive does not only narrate Dan Davis's many lives but makes the readers live them, too.

In 1994, Dan ‘Tito’ Davis is framed by a former friend who accuses him of possessing meth. The cops are all too eager to charge him, given his history of drug-trafficking. Rather than doing prison sentence for a crime he did not commit, he decides to flee. A detailed account of his life on the run is described in this memoir, thanks to an ‘almost photographic memory’ of Tito and a thorough research on co-author Peter Conti’s part. In terms of the vast geography Tito covered, the myriad of characters he met and the most impossible situations he faced, this book is unique even among memoirs.

Imagine spending your entire life running, always looking over your shoulder in the fear of your past catching up with you. This description pretty much fits the life of any fugitive, so what is unique about Tito’s story? Now throw into it a couple of prison sentences, guerrilla attacks, kidnappings, deals with drug lords and their cartels, a few gorgeous women, a couple of marriages, an intense love triangle, daring sports, some accounts of one-of-a-kind cultural practices in different parts of Latin America, and you will understand why describing his story as ‘interesting’ will be an understatement. Tito indeed led a colorful life unimaginable to many, even if the colors were mostly in various shades of gray. This memoir masterfully captures his fascinating life within its pages.

In spite of Tito often describing himself as ‘gringo stupido’, his ingenious mind, quick thinking, attention to details, and most of all, his survival instinct helped him in many instances. He is passionate about his love, is honest in his own way, and obviously cares for his fellows. These attributes make the reader feel strongly for him. The glimpses of Latin American people belonging to various social circles and the account of their diverse lifestyle and unique culture are mesmerizing.

In my opinion, there are a few weak points about the book. First of all, the myriad of characters Tito encounters is interesting, but overwhelming as well. I often lost track and had to go back in order to check previous references. Also, the background stories of many characters often consume a good part of the narration, making the chapters unnecessarily lengthy as well as disrupting its flow.

Autobiographies invariably provide glimpses into the socio-political, economic and cultural background and often such background is necessary to understand the protagonist’s life. But in this case, I felt there was an overload of historical facts and incidents. While I sometimes felt lost due to this, more avid readers might enjoy them.

All in all, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The few negative points I mentioned did not seem important enough to deduct points. From the technical standpoint also, I encountered only a few minor errors. I would suggest this book to the readers who enjoy autobiographies and travelogues.

Lastly, I want to share my personal feelings about a particular chapter. As an Indian woman, I was looking forward to reading about Tito’s time in India, where he went for his honeymoon at his wife’s insistence. The ordeals they had to face there include corrupt cab-drivers, leering glances, catcalls and comments from lecherous and pervert co-passengers and pedestrians, and finally, bodily assault. Now I am no stranger to this, yet reading about those terrible experiences from their point of view left me ashamed and horrified. In fact, it took me quite a while to compose myself enough to resume reading. While their way of dealing with those obscenities was inspiring, I whole-heartedly wish that no one else has to face these situations in my country.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shrabastee's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Wow, I love your rendition of the book! Davis is a good story-teller, that's for sure. As to what percentage of the story is true and how much is an exaggeration of what happened, he alone knows. Either way, his story is not lacking in drama. That, however, did not move me from my stand that strongly opposes drug trafficking. I still do not approve to this vice, and I mentioned it in my review, too. The note you included about Davis' stay in India is very heartfelt. Thank you for being candid enough to respond to it!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Tito's life is certainly touched by exciting but mostly negative events. He has certainly lived a life on the edge which is mostly a result of wrong choices. I am glad that you enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for a beautiful review of this book.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

joycechitwa wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 14:09 Wow, I love your rendition of the book! Davis is a good story-teller, that's for sure. As to what percentage of the story is true and how much is an exaggeration of what happened, he alone knows. Either way, his story is not lacking in drama. That, however, did not move me from my stand that strongly opposes drug trafficking. I still do not approve to this vice, and I mentioned it in my review, too. The note you included about Davis' stay in India is very heartfelt. Thank you for being candid enough to respond to it!
Ahh, that's true! I never even thought that some parts of his story might have been exaggerated. But now that you mention it, it was actually too dramatic to be entirely true. Also, as I mentioned, it was too detailed. Did he really remember so many minute details?

Yes, he should never have indulged in drug-trafficking. I gathered the idea that he was overly ambitious, maybe even to the point of being money-minded. I felt that he never got over the grand success with White crosses in his early life and kept trying to match that level his entire life. What do you think regarding this?

Being an Indian and reading that chapter depicting my own countrymen's uncultured behaviour and comparing the 'holy' Ganges with river Styx wasn't at all easy for me. But the sad part is, what he said was true. There are people like this, and large amount of trash is indeed dumped into the Ganges everyday. I debated whether to include my personal feelings in the review, but it was an eye-opener for me and made me see why people from foreign countries do have some trepidation about coming to India, so I included it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

crediblereading2 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 21:38 Tito's life is certainly touched by exciting but mostly negative events. He has certainly lived a life on the edge which is mostly a result of wrong choices. I am glad that you enjoyed reading this book. Thank you for a beautiful review of this book.
Yes, the book was unlike any other I have ever read. His life was way too eventful. You are absolutely right in saying that it was a result of wrong choices. I felt that once he made a wrong choice, there was no going back and he kept repeating the same pattern. Coupled with his ambitious nature, it drove his life 'on the edges'.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

No doubt the author is a good story-teller. The wrong path he opts in the start keeps him ruining throughout his life. His experience in India was really terrible. Thanks for your honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Aug 2018, 00:00 No doubt the author is a good story-teller. The wrong path he opts in the start keeps him ruining throughout his life. His experience in India was really terrible. Thanks for your honest review.
Thanks so much for your response. Yes, it seems that once he did something wrong, there was no way to rectify it.
I agree, it was horrible! When they decided to leave India and that chapter ended, I probably felt more relieved than they felt at the time.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

A well-written and informative review. Being an Indian, I also felt bad when I read the incidents that happened to the author and his wife during their visit to India. I really am ashamed and hope it never happens to anyone else. Thanks for your review I wish you good luck.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Sunnyroyish wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 06:51 A well-written and informative review. Being an Indian, I also felt bad when I read the incidents that happened to the author and his wife during their visit to India. I really am ashamed and hope it never happens to anyone else. Thanks for your review I wish you good luck.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Much appreciated!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

For a fugitive, Tito seems to have had more fun than many 'non-fugitives!' It unfortunate he was framed, though I hope his 'history of drug trafficking' did not repeat itself. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Shrabastee Chakraborty

Cotwani wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 10:27 For a fugitive, Tito seems to have had more fun than many 'non-fugitives!' It unfortunate he was framed, though I hope his 'history of drug trafficking' did not repeat itself. Great review!
It is true that his life story sounded fun, but I wonder how it will feel to know you are being pursued all the time! Thanks for the comment.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It must be interesting to read about how the author used his wits to survive in the challenging situations he found himself thrown into. I found your paragraph about India very interesting. I have been to India and experienced some hassle, but of course, that wasn't the sum total of my experience - overall, I loved it!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Lastly, I want to share my personal feelings about a particular chapter. As an Indian woman, I was looking forward to reading about Tito’s time in India, where he went for his honeymoon at his wife’s insistence. The ordeals they had to face there include corrupt cab-drivers, leering glances, catcalls and comments from lecherous and pervert co-passengers and pedestrians, and finally, bodily assault. Now I am no stranger to this, yet reading about those terrible experiences from their point of view left me ashamed and horrified. In fact, it took me quite a while to compose myself enough to resume reading. While their way of dealing with those obscenities was inspiring, I whole-heartedly wish that no one else has to face these situations in my country.
I'm from Latin America so I totally understand how you felt!
I agree, Dan is a clever character with his own strange moral code and quite a charming wit, which makes him strangely likable for a criminal.
There are too many characters, I agree, and it's easy to get lost and confused. The amount of sociopolitical facts didn't bother me, but the fact that they're totally viewed from a narrow American perspective did. They never really attempt to explain the complexities of the social problems presented.
I had another problem with this book and it was the outrageous amount of misspelled Spanish words. One would think that someone who spent so much time in Latin America would've been more careful about this.
However, I enjoyed the book very much and I think its strongest suit is the very likable narrative voice that can be sarcastic, cynical and even self-deprecating at times but always engaging.
Thank you for your honest review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

“…but to succeed as a fugitive, you have to live many lives simultaneously…” – My Life on The Edge as an International Fugitive does not only narrate Dan Davis's many lives but makes the readers live them, too.
This piece seems to be more mind-boggling than I initially thought it to be, and will likely appeal more to fans of its genre. Despite his failings and blunders, the main character is just as human and prone to err as we all are. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Prasanna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prasanna.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Prasanna »

This review definitely gave reasons to read this book. Yes, you truly said that being an Indian reading about unpleasant things for the country is horrified, even I wish no one face such situation in our country.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”