Review by ShailaSheshadri -- The Flower Girl Murder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by ShailaSheshadri -- The Flower Girl Murder

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Flower Girl Murder" by Keith Hirshland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you like reading a murder mystery or a suspense thriller, The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland is your best choice. This short, fictional novel contains an appealing storyline that includes two cold-blooded killings. Both these murders took place at Raleigh, North Carolina. Normally a peaceful city, Raleigh had two brutal killings.

Detective Marc Allen, a former police officer, with his team members, tries hard to investigate these brutal murders. One of the murder victims was Daisy Burns, an adorable wife, and a mother. Daisy is the name of a lovely flower, and hence, Daisy Burns is referred to as a flower girl in the story. The second murder also took place in the same city.

There are a considerable number of characters in the novel, but only a few of them are important to the story while others are just complementary to the plot. I liked the character named Blanche Avery. She is so sympathetic and helpful. This novel has many subplots that connect with the main plot. Otherwise a peaceful town, Raleigh saw two barbaric shootings those stand in contrast to the calmness of the city, conveying the story to appear realistic. The cover page includes an image of a flower placed on the blood stain perfectly fits with the plot.

Keith Hirshland had beautifully woven romance, mystery, and suspense throughout; making it impossible to keep away the book once you start reading. Many questions arise; who carried out these murders? What seems to be the reason for such gross killings? Is it by a family member? The story keeps you glued, and somewhere, you feel satisfied you identified the murderer. This is not all! The author leaves you surprised by presenting an unimaginable twist in the storyline.

The book has a remarkable characterization that made the characters appear real. I was amazed to understand the feelings and instincts of a few leading characters in the story. It is evident in the story, how hatred and instincts stimulate people to consider merciless decisions. There is a glaring example of boundless love shared by a parent and a child. The straightforward writing style employed by the author fitted properly with the storyline, making the comprehending easy and enjoyable. This book is properly edited. There was almost no grammar mistake found. The story flows naturally and keeps you glued.

I guess there are a few minor negative aspects to this novel. The story proceeded in a bit slow pace; sometimes dragging. I think a few areas of the novel could have been concise. A few explicit scenes of intimacy and disturbing premeditated murders may be a hindrance to recommend the book for adolescents.

Except those mentioned above, the book is an excellent read for anyone who loves mystery thrillers or murder mysteries. The suspense in the story manages to keep you engaged throughout. Hence, it’s my pleasure to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to all adults.

The Flower Girl Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ShailaSheshadri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”