Official Review: THE ODD TWINS (E...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: THE ODD TWINS (E...

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "THE ODD TWINS (Edited Version)" by Randy caparco.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is a crazy place and the small Italian town, Caserta, gets a little bit crazier with the birth of Maria’s twins. In order to figure out the origin of these babies, what they become, and how they affect the whole family, the reader needs to pick up a copy of The Odd Twins by Randy Caparco. This book is a bit hard to classify, but can likely be thrown into the crime-fiction genre with a bit of paranormal sprinkled into the mix. The book’s point of view bounces from one character to another as well as being pulled into a flashback every now and then.

The story opens in a rural town in Italy during World War 2. Maria Gaetano is giving birth to, what she later finds out to be, twins. After their birth, strange things begin happening. Not only do the two babies not look alike, but they also seem to have odd abilities and mannerisms. Beyond the twins, but entirely related to the story, The Odd Twins has a love triangle, mafia-run boxing matches, (potential) murder, and criminal investigations.

What I liked the best about this book is how the author was able to mix a variety of genres. There is definitely a crime-fiction feel to it as the investigators look into the death of a member of the Gaetano family, but this isn’t the only genre present. There is a bit of a paranormal side occurring with the children, a family-drama feeling between most characters, and all this is wrapped up in a historical-fiction blanket. There was plenty of action to keep the reader interested, and it definitely had a unique plot-line.

Unfortunately, however, several things caused this book to fall short in my eyes. First, the writing seemed a bit choppy and unnatural. This may have been a style choice by the author, but it had the sensation one would usually see from being poorly translated. This was particularly apparent when using the term “five-shot” where I assume the author means “high-five.” Next, I really disliked the author’s overuse of exclamation points. In my opinion, exclamation points should be used to provide an effect on the reader, and the excessive use of them in this book was actually distracting to me. Finally, and what I disliked the most about this book, was the awkward and unnatural writing of sex/romance scenes. Not only were they poorly written, but there were even a couple of instances of being anatomically inaccurate.

Although the plot had potential and I was interested to see where the book took me, The Odd Twins fell short in a few too many places. For that reason, I give this volume 2 out of 4 stars. I awarded it two stars since, if the author makes an effort to fix the unnatural language and flow of the book, I can see its potential. I would recommend this title to those who like a fun crime-fiction novel if you aren’t bothered by a book that needs a bit of polish. If you need literary prowess and poetry in your library, this book is likely not for you. Additionally, due to some of the violence and adult themes, this book is not ideal for younger audiences.

THE ODD TWINS (Edited Version)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Anatomically inaccurate...I don't even want to know. This sounded interesting when I first started reading your review, and I actually thought about the Mengele twins when you mentioned WWII. I don't think I would enjoy this in its current state, but it sounds like a decent concept.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think there is a lot going on in this book, and I feel like may have contributed to the choppy/unnatural writing. The plot is definitely interesting, but sometimes with so much going on, seamlessly connecting points become difficult. Regardless, thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Both the title and book cover are eye-catching. I also find that the plot depicting the fraternal twin with their odd abilities is very interesting. I am, therefore, sorry about the shortfalls of this book. Thank you for your honest review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. It is very good. The highlighted issues, especially the shortcomings of the book, are very important. I hope that the words that appear to be wrongly used will be replaced by others. The author did a good job combining several themes into this, one, historical fiction story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

The title of the book is interesting, the plot sounds decent and I like the mixing of the different genres. Hopefully, the author will correct the mistakes. Thanks for the review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I would expect and edited version to be better than 2 stars. I really don't think I would enjoy this book it sounds a little too confusing for my liking. I appreciate your review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This one did seem to have potential. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the title and cover, but your review filled in the blanks. I am surprised that it has so many issues since it is the edited version. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The twin aspect of the plot is interesting, but the editorial issues would be distracting. Thank you for your thorough review.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The plot sounds interesting, too bad about its shortcomings! Thank you for your honest review, I think I'll pass on the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”