Official Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lunch Money" by Roger M. Cullen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Roger Cullen’s Lunch Money is a gripping cop thriller that keeps readers on the edge as they wonder what is really happening in Jersey City. Sullivan, a retired cop, and Frank, an active cop, are best friends who have each other’s backs at every turn. Sullivan retired in his 30s after discovering a young child’s body and having a related “altercation” with the mayor. Sullivan still manages to get involved in criminal situations, either on his own or with Frank, all while running his bar. Frank begins as a patrol officer who switches temporarily to the detective division after a particularly brutal interaction with an evil criminal. In the detective bureau, he gets to explore cases that don’t seem to be getting resolved, including one involving Sullivan.

As the story unfolds, various cases of Sullivan’s and Frank’s, both past and present, seem to be tied together in unforeseen ways. How does the mugging/murder Sullivan witnessed from his terrace tie into Frank’s continually growing investigations of other crimes? What’s going on with all the crime in a very wealthy neighborhood? Who is committing all of these horrendous crimes? Could it be just one person or are many people involved?

Frank and Sullivan have similar personalities, characteristics, and a strong bond. Both men are justice seekers, seeing to it personally when necessary, as they feel deeply towards the victims. They both love and appreciate women, especially beautiful, sexy women. Sullivan has many women friends whose friendships last long past their liaisons. They are both dependable and are committed to their friends. Together and individually, they are forces to be reckoned with.

Sullivan is often contemplative about life’s blessings. He is viewed as trustworthy by fellow cops. His time owning and running his bar has taught him to enjoy people from all walks of life and their stories. Frank tends to do things his own way. He is contemplative in how some things aren’t as important as they used to be. He shows his care for people by doing things for them and being there when they need him. For example, he fixes things around the apartment house for his widowed landlady.

There are several other relevant characters in Lunch Money. Frank meets Alicia while on a burglary call. He is struck with lust for this beautiful, married woman. He is constantly confronted by her mysterious background and hidden secrets. Her step-daughter Elizabeth is a perplexing person that continually confounds those that encounter her. Helene is a waitress at the local diner. She brightens up everyone’s day with her bubbly personality. Noble is a former cop, turned attorney, who helps Frank through a tough situation. He uses stories in a unique way to get people to think.

The imagery in the story is very vivid and intense. For example, a description of the old barracks reads, “As far as the eye could see every pier building roof was covered in what appeared to be tar paper. Every single roof showed evidence of damage from years of neglect and abandonment. Every roof had sections missing. The holes in the rounded contours of the roofs produced the effect of a cancerous assault on a lung.” The imagery is one of my favorite parts of the book, as it made me feel like I was there.

Throughout the story, there are times were Frank and Sullivan feel like something seems oddly familiar or “not right.” Call it a sixth-sense of sorts. Readers are kept guessing, just as Frank and Sullivan are, throughout the story’s twist and turns.

A major theme of the story is obviously police work. The author describes the everyday things that cops do, not just the exciting crime chasing parts. Sometimes it’s about helping people with things, like an old lady with a bat in her house. Seeing the process of Internal Affairs was fascinating. The regular patrols are shown both in the mundane moments and the more thrilling moments. Note that the author uses the word cop, so therefore it is used in my review. I realize that it’s more formal to say, “police officer.”

What was most bothersome was the grammar. There is a major issue with the use of semicolons instead of commas. For example, “The master bedroom overlooked the street but more times than not; Frank fell asleep on the couch.” It was quite distracting.

I rate Lunch Money 3 out of 4 stars. It kept me on my toes as I constantly wondered who had done what all the way to the end. The characters are easy to connect to, with many heart-wrenching moments. Because of the grammar issues, I could not give it a perfect score. Readers who love crime thrillers that deal with tough subjects will love this story. Those that are sensitive to graphic violence should skip this one. There is some soft erotica, but it is not the focus of the story.

Lunch Money
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Misplaced commas or semicolons don't normally bother me. However, the example that you mention was very distracting. That's just not a good place for a semicolon. It makes me pause while I'm reading the story. It definitely needs another round of editing for sure. It does sound like a great plot in all other ways, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

A major theme of the story is obviously police work. The author describes the everyday things that cops do, not just the exciting crime chasing parts. Sometimes it’s about helping people with things, like an old lady with a bat in her house. Seeing the process of Internal Affairs was fascinating. The regular patrols are shown both in the mundane moments and the more thrilling moments
This sounds like a realistic glimpse into the life of police officers. The mystery element appeals to me as well. Great review!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love it when an author creates authentic imagery. It really makes a book pop to life. I hope the author takes your advice and puts this one through another round of proofreading.
Awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I almost reviewed this one. It sounds like an engaging plot and great characters.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:20 Wow! Misplaced commas or semicolons don't normally bother me. However, the example that you mention was very distracting. That's just not a good place for a semicolon. It makes me pause while I'm reading the story. It definitely needs another round of editing for sure. It does sound like a great plot in all other ways, though. Thanks for the review.
Another round of editing, yes! And really, other than the semicolon issue, there were few other errors.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 15:13 I love it when an author creates authentic imagery. It really makes a book pop to life. I hope the author takes your advice and puts this one through another round of proofreading.
Awesome review :)
The imagery made it easy to "picture" what was happening.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

It sounds like a glimpse into the like of a police officer. I'm not into violent scenes though so maybe i'll pass. Sounds like an interesting read though save the grammatical errors.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It sounds like a great story, but grammar mistakes that distracting cause me to pass right now. Thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful, thorough review! The plot and characters seem interesting. Still, the frequent use of semi-colons, instead of commas, would drive me batty.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 14:16 Thanks for another insightful, thorough review! The plot and characters seem interesting. Still, the frequent use of semi-colons, instead of commas, would drive me batty.
Definitely drove me batty at times.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I am intrigued by this book from reading your review. I enjoy a crime drama that can keep a reader guessing. Frank and Sullivan both sound like complex and surprising characters. I will probably skip it because of the graphic content factor, but I really enjoyed the introduction to the book through your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Eva Darrington wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 21:26 I am intrigued by this book from reading your review. I enjoy a crime drama that can keep a reader guessing. Frank and Sullivan both sound like complex and surprising characters. I will probably skip it because of the graphic content factor, but I really enjoyed the introduction to the book through your review.
It is graphic, but in this case, it's not gratuitous & really does add to the story.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 14:15
Frank and Sullivan have similar personalities, characteristics, and a strong bond. Both men are justice seekers, seeing to it personally when necessary, as they feel deeply towards the victims. They both love and appreciate women, especially beautiful, sexy women. Sullivan has many women friends whose friendships last long past their liaisons. They are both dependable and are committed to their friends. Together and individually, they are forces to be reckoned with.
In the above quote, I wonder whether being "justice seekers" means they act as outside the normal procedures? This is often how characters in these types of books justify their actions.

That being said, Lunch Money appears to be the kind of book I would enjoy. It has crimes to solve, and interesting characters. The review provides much important information that helped me to see that I would probably enjoy the book.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jgraney8 wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 19:30
CatInTheHat wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 14:15
In the above quote, I wonder whether being "justice seekers" means they act as outside the normal procedures? This is often how characters in these types of books justify their actions.

That being said, Lunch Money appears to be the kind of book I would enjoy. It has crimes to solve, and interesting characters. The review provides much important information that helped me to see that I would probably enjoy the book.
That's a hard one to respond to, without giving spoilers. Seeking justice doesn't mean being unethical. Often it means doing what's right, even if others view it as "not the proper way to do it."

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”