Official Review: The Obscure Truth by Juelle Christie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Official Review: The Obscure Truth by Juelle Christie

Post by bclayton13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Obscure Truth" by Juelle Christie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Obscure Truth by Juelle Christie is a crime thriller that follows Jerry Frye, a developing psychopath who rapes and murders a young student named Sophia Valdez after becoming obsessed with her. As the book goes on, we see those who try to track Jerry down, especially Giselle Bellamy, a young forensic scientist who obsesses over the Valdez case and finds herself strangely drawn to Jerry. What follows is a deadly game of cat and mouse that will leave readers on the edge of their seats. The book details Jerry's troubled childhood and provides a great deal of explanation of how he became what he is, drawing an intriguing psychological portrait that will surely please those who enjoy thrillers following serial killers.

One particular aspect I enjoyed was that the Christie didn't give any excuses for Jerry's actions. Instead, she provided his background as a way of explaining the impulses behind them, and to give the reader an insight into the state of mind of a murderer. Sophia Valdez is mourned and her family is appropriately devastated. Christie pulls no punches in this regard and makes it clear that Jerry's crime is unforgivable, seriously hurting Sophia's family and friends.

When it came to Jerry, I found that this book gave a detailed psychological portrait that provided a fascinating insight into the thoughts and reasonings of someone who kills others. Jerry is most definitely the most believable character who is, in a twisted way, completely relatable. After being abandoned by his brother and rejected by his mother, Jerry has severe issues with rejection. Yet, in many other ways, he's a normal person that the reader roots for. I began hoping he'd seek treatment for his issues and put his life back together for a majority of the book.

Yet, this book has a few flaws. To begin, sometimes too much detail is given when it isn't needed. For instance, the readers are hit with a deluge of detail about the investigators and their personal lives, such as the names and origins of their parents (who never appear in the book) and Giselle's father's accounting business. While some details become relevant (some in very clever ways that I appreciated), the vast majority do not. Jerry's past is certainly the longest and most detailed but it's also the one that's most relevant, since his history has a direct influence on his psyche and why he does what he does. As for many the other characters with long and detailed backstories, I appreciated the work that Christie did in building up her world but felt that much of it was not relevant.

Secondly, at times I felt that the dialogue was stilted, which took me out of the story. Most of the time, characters don't use contractions which isn't at all how normal people speak and made it difficult for me to 'hear' them in a believable way.

In addition, I felt that some of the romances, especially the romance between Giselle and Jerry, was not properly developed. I understand that there is a gap between the first date and later in the relationship that is skipped in the book, and this made it hard for me to feel the tension that should naturally follow since Giselle is investigating the murder that Jerry comitted. The readers are expected to believe that they fell in love without seeing any of it. So, in summary, I suppose that the book gives too much detail in some areas, and not enough in others.

Despite some flaws, I did enjoy this book. For those who are sensitive to subjects such as rape, I can't recommend this book, as the rape scene is pretty vivid. For most others who enjoy thrillers, I can recommend this book, knowing that the insight into the mind of a killer would please almost every fan of crime fiction. For a flawless depiction of a killer with some issues in the writing, I give The Obscure Truth 3 out of 4 stars.

The Obscure Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bclayton13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds great. It's so rare that an author is able to put you in the mind of a killer, and even more, to make you feel empathetic. That is a talent in itself.
Awesome review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's really a credit to the author when the reader is able to glimpse into the mind of a psychopath as you described. I really enjoyed your review, and this sounds like a book I would like to read. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy books where you get a glimpse of a criminal mind. It's fascinating when author's do it right. Still, I'm unsure of the uneasy dialogue and extraneous details. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I love stories about serial killers. There's just some weird curiosity that attracts me to really messed up people. Great review. Sounds like a really interesting book.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

What you said here --> "While some details become relevant (some in very clever ways that I appreciated)..." is one of the reasons I love to read. Those clever touches can even overcome deficiencies in a story sometimes.
The relation between one's childhood experiences and one's adult self fascinates me. It makes me revisit the question of whether or not we have free will.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Interesting that the author maker you feel empathy for the killer. Sound like a great book, however, a rape scene isn't for me so i'll pass. Thanks for your review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A relatable psychopath? Sounds interesting! I agree too much description can slow the pace. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”