Official Review: Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winter City Wolf Moon" by Elvis English.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English is a crime thriller set in Anchorage, Alaska, where young Native American women are being sadistically murdered. Criminal defense investigator Lewis Bocarde begins his own investigation into what he believes are serial killings, to the chagrin of Lieutenant Bullen of the Anchorage police department. Meanwhile, Lewis becomes romantically involved with Grace Frye, a once suicidal social worker who finds something to live for in their relationship. She takes an interest in his investigation, which is also aided by a young Native American man, Jed, from whom Lewis gets information. The investigation rapidly grows obsessive for Lewis in his determination to find the killer.

The writing in this book is strong. English really romanticises Alaska with poignant descriptions of the landscape, local flora, and wildlife. His prose is beautifully descriptive and evocative, painting vivid mental pictures for the reader. However, I did struggle at times with some very long sentences. I counted around 80 words in a descriptive sentence about Anchorage in Chapter Two but soon realised this was English's style when I saw other similar examples. There is one in Chapter Eighteen that runs for a whole page, and a later one of almost two pages! I grew accustomed to these behemoths, however, as they were a sort of "stream of consciousness" for the viewpoint character, and the author broke them up with plenty of well-placed commas.

English really knows his characters well, getting right in their heads. They all seem realistic and true to their motivations and backgrounds. Lewis's obsession with finding the killer takes a serious toll on both his personality and his relationship with Grace. The relationship itself is quite sweet, as the two find in each other a way to keep their own personal darknesses at bay. Scenes from the killer's viewpoint are strong, with his vitriolic anger and hatred on full display in his internal monologues. Though I couldn't personally identify with his poisonous nature, I gained a strong understanding of who he was and how he viewed others.

One scene in this book was especially powerful for me, where Lewis climbs a water tower. I share his fear of heights, and empathised with his character, feeling similar terrified vertigo to himself during this scene. The author succeeds in executing both this and the violent scenes very well throughout the book. I found myself particularly engaged and emotionally involved in these scenes. Good writing in the thriller genre is all about reader engagement, as the reader has a high level of investment in the story with characters placed in serious physical jeopardy.

Winter City Wolf Moon does contain some minor errors, mainly missing punctuation. I identified ten of these in the first 150 pages. If not for these, I would comfortably rate this book 4 stars. It is a strong and beautifully descriptive crime thriller with great characters and a powerful story. Unfortunately, with the minor errors, I can only rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It is a great read for anyone who likes serial killer thrillers, particularly those set in beautiful and unforgiving climates. However, if you dislike strong violence, I would recommend you avoid this one.

Winter City Wolf Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that it would be interesting to read a story set in Alaska, but the strong violence throws me off a bit from wanting to read the book. The author must have written extremely well to involve the reader's emotions!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a thriller I would enjoy. A well-written plot with strong characters appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

LV2R wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 04:54 I think that it would be interesting to read a story set in Alaska, but the strong violence throws me off a bit from wanting to read the book. The author must have written extremely well to involve the reader's emotions!
A beautiful setting very nicely described by the author. And the scene with the water tower is particularly visceral if you have a fear of heights like I do!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 10:33 This sounds like a thriller I would enjoy. A well-written plot with strong characters appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for your comments. What I really loved about this book, aside from plot and characters of course, was the setting. Alaska sounds like a beautiful place. Well worth a read.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Sounds like a great read. I've been to Alaska and it is beautiful. The only thing that worries me is I don't need a page to tell me how beautiful a mountain is. When the book gets to "flowery" it puts me off. Give me the action with a nice mix of details.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Sound like a good book but the strong violence mentioned doesn't appeal to me. I could tell you enjoyed the book, well done!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”