Official Review: A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn by Marvin J Wolf

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn by Marvin J Wolf

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn" by Marvin J Wolf.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rabbi Ben never seems to have a quiet evening at home. Hired on by the Israeli President and working closely with the Jewish Museum, he is asked to investigate some old scrolls that have turned up in the home of a deceased man in Brooklyn. It is thought that these scrolls may be a part of the Aleppo Codex, a medieval manuscript of the Hebrew Bible. The scrolls, only shortly after being discovered, have vanished again, removed from the home of Miryam Benkamel. Now, Rabbi Ben and Miryam are on a chase across Brooklyn to locate the documents as well as to discover their true value and who exactly wants them so much. In the process, Ben deals with his attraction to Miryam and to the beautiful Dr. Chana Kaplan of the Jewish Museum, both of whom are along for this adventure of locating an important piece of history.

A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn by Marvin J Wolf is the second in the Rabbi Ben series, but it is not necessary to read the first novel beforehand. I came into this series at this book and was not lost at all. The author does an excellent job of explaining Rabbi Ben's background as well as introducing new characters and a new plot that seem unrelated to any previous mysteries.

I enjoyed the fast pace of this book. It was a very easy read. The story flowed nicely, and the dialogue was entertaining enough. There were many plot twists involved. However, it didn't feel too much like it was written in a way that had the reader always guessing what would come next. Most aspects were spelled out quite plainly.

My favorite part of this novel was the action.There were fight scenes and chase scenes, and it was all written in a way that was very easy to visualize. There was quite a bit of romance in this book that I could have lived without. I am not opposed to romance and know that it typically comes along in genres such as this, but there were a few overly cheesy moments.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were some minor editing errors like left off words. Overall, the writing was good and I think fans of mystery, action, and romance would all be impressed. If you are looking for a more serious read, this is probably not the book for you. The ending was somewhat abrupt and did leave me with a question or two, but there is a third book in this series. So, I suppose I have to read it, if I want to know more.

A Scribe Dies In Brooklyn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

pricklypurple wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 11:57
There were many plot twists involved. However, it didn't feel too much like it was written in a way that had the reader always guessing what would come next. Most aspects were spelled out quite plainly.

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
I am an action buff hence, I would have liked to check out this book but the fact that readers could always guess what was coming next stopped me dead in my tracks. Thanks for the honest review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds somewhat like a book that I recently read and reviewed - The Dark Scrolls - but in my book, the hunt was on for Satanic scrolls and there was no romance. Still, I very much enjoyed my read, so I'm sure I'll like this one, as well. Thanks for the intro!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a fun book with interesting characters that I would like. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”