Review by CatlynnHighlights -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: The Zodiac Killer (Zodiac Killers Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Review by CatlynnHighlights -- The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by CatlynnHighlights » 06 Aug 2018, 12:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angela Renatus is an art historian who is haunted by dreams of Giuliano Medici, his mistress, Fioretta Gorini, and a portrait of the two of them that doesn’t officially exist. She vows to find out the truth behind her dreams.

Alex Caine is an art detective, hired to search for the same painting by a wealthy client who wants to clear his family name. His only evidence is a letter written by the late uncle of his client, which mentions the existence of the painting.

Alberto Scordato is a legend in the art world, and he wants the painting too. He isn’t going to stop at anything to get that painting, and he doesn’t care who gets in his way.

When Alex reaches out to Angela for help finding the painting, a mixture of chaos and romance ensues. Will the painting be found safe and sound, or will the two die in the process?

Written by Belle Ami, The Girl Who Loved DaVinci is a romantic out of time thriller consisting of 240 pages. Ami uses her storytelling to weave an almost possible tale of a mysterious DaVinci painting and the hardships those protecting it have been through.

What I liked best about this book was the number of plausible twists Ami threw in. She established early on in the book that her twists were possible, and didn’t pull ideas from thin air. Every twist made me curse myself for not seeing it earlier, and not become irritated at a lack of sense. Ami made sure to explain twists thoroughly so the reader didn’t become confused, and seamlessly integrated several into the story.

What I disliked about this book was how the second half of it became more of a love story than a thriller. The characters seem less focused on the mystery at hand and more focused on how many times they can make out. This is likely because the two aspects of the story are different, and as such the characters need to have different focuses to allow both types of readers to enjoy the novel. Because I was reading for the thriller, I found myself slightly irritated that they weren’t more focused, although those reading for the romance will be pleased. A little more balance between the two would be best though.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It delivered exactly what it promised and more. The writing was well done, the characters interacted well, and the ending didn’t feel lackluster. Ami wrote a wonderful book that leads well into its sequel, which I am tempted to read. The only warning is that the book does contain sensual scenes, and younger readers shouldn’t buy this novel.

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatlynnHighlights's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”