Review by Harzelryan -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harzelryan
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harzelryan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Harzelryan -- Gringo

Post by Harzelryan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

GRINGO: My life on the edge as an international fugitive is an interesting true story of adventure and travel about Dan ‘Tito' Davis who was obsessed in making money until he got involved in the business of selling drugs. He ended up being hunted by the authorities that he decided to flee to Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Germany among other countries.

Dan was born in Pierre, South Dakota, where he grew up and attended school. He joined campus where he became so desperate for making money that he decided to venture into selling white cross. He was selling to the entire school and most of the towns until he transferred to another campus. At NEVADA he made new friends. He fell in love got married and gave birth to a boy. He was arrested charged and sentenced to 102 months in prison.

When he finished serving his jail term Tito explained "I had nothing. But I had made a promise to myself when I entered prison and I repeated the promise to my parole board: Once I got released, I would never deal in cocaine again. I guess prison really did rehabilitate me because I have kept my promise to this day." He later was framed for the possession of meth and he decided to flee to Latin America and that is when his life as a fugitive began. He established businesses fell in love again got married and his life on the run came to an end when he was caught.

This book is interesting and can keep you at the edge of your seat. There is an underlying sense of danger throughout the book. Whenever Dan's life was getting closer to normal something pops up and he hits the road fleeing from the feds. A time he was fleeing even though there was no one after him which I found myself smiling a couple of times. Dan had lived a life which is seen mostly in the movies. While narrating his story he gave out enough details to describe a situation and was able to bring out different themes.

I will give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is an interesting memoir that can keep you on the edge of your seat. It is a page-turner; you will want to finish the book as soon as possible. The writing style of the author is vivid and will keep you engaged to the end. I will recommend this book to anyone who is intrigued by travel and adventure memoirs.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Harzelryan's review? Post a comment saying so!
MHScaccia
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhscaccia.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B01J94T83C

Post by MHScaccia »

This doesn’t sound like my type of book, but thanks for the great review!
“Everything you can imagine is real” ~Pablo Picasso
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for this well written review on this book which is a fugitive suspense story of Davis who is very much fond of money and lands in doing illegal works.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The love of money is the root of all evil. This is the morale of the story. Money is important but one must not get too greedy for it. Thank you for your wonderful review of this book.
Cassandra Keeney
Currently Reading: Confessions of a Sociopath
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassandra-keeney.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Cassandra Keeney »

I read this book, and I must agree with your review. It keeps you on edge, waiting to see if this was the time he would get caught, and it was a great book. Thanks for your review it was interesting to see it from someone else’s perspective.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.”
-W Somerset Maugham
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

This was a good book filled with twists and turns, and the narrative was entertaining. His life story seems like fiction, lol. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”