Official Review: Section Seven by Rob Mancebo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Section Seven by Rob Mancebo

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Section Seven" by Rob Mancebo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kane leads a very interesting and dangerous life. He is an agent for the covert Section Seven unit that deals with paranormal entities that try to cause havoc in the human world. This book is the collection of six stories that paint a picture of his experiences with a different bunch of people, in a different environment, fighting a supernatural force they haven’t encountered before. From an occult group that tries to control vicious demons to a group of fanatics who are willing to murder people in the name of offering to their gods, Kane has seen men do unspeakable things to each other. He has seen supernatural forces of the most degraded form, and he has come face to face with the beings who are older than humanity itself.

Written in the third person, Section Seven unfolds from the perspective of Kane. Rob Mancebo has spun some wild tales with a character as intriguing as the stories. The premise of the stories isn’t limited to a single set of religion or mythology. One story involves a Hindu goddess, while the other explores the tales of demons as told in the Bible. The environment, too, changes in every chapter. While in one, Kane is scouring the streets of New York for a mage who brings inanimate objects to life, in the other, he is stranded in the Middle East with an expedition to find a lost treasure.

Section Seven is a very well-written book. It is exciting and makes the reader eager to turn one page after another to find out what’s next in store for Kane. The mix of folklores and mythologies from all over the world adds to its appeal. The author cuts no slack, and the stories keep getting better and better. There is more to it than just the supernatural stuff. There is horror, thrill, and a strong whodunit factor. Your heart beats faster as you feel the danger closing in on Kane and his companions. The cases are like puzzles and Kane is Sherlock Holmes of the supernatural stuff.

Another thing that makes Section Seven a good read is its characters, especially the protagonist. Even though Kane is the hero of these stories, he is not a pure black or white character. He has many shades to him, some of which come as a real surprise to us. Any more details about him pose the risk of spoiling some crucial aspects of the stories. All you need to know is that Kane is not your usual hero. He’ll get the job done, but you might not like the way he gets it done!

The rest of the characters in the book are very diverse. The author has sketched them pretty clearly and, in no time, you feel like you know them well. The descriptions of the surroundings are detailed and easily form a picture in your head. The ambience of the stories is mostly dark as they take place in deserted areas and stormy nights. It works well with the tone of the plot and allows the writer to generate a mystical environment. Some characters act as a comic relief to balance all this heaviness of the stories.

A handful of grammatical errors prevented this book from being perfect. My rating for Section Seven is 3 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would have given it a 3.5. People who like to read supernatural stories or are interested in mythologies and folklores will like this book. Apart from the protagonist and the supernatural entities that appear in it, they will like the endings of the stories. The last story ends at something of a cliffhanger; and if the author decides to write a sequel, I’ll surely read it.

Section Seven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I like that the author decided to add a character with some comedic value. These themes tend to be so heavy, and sometimes you need something to balance it, even if just slightly.
I really enjoyed your review, thanks so much :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Oyestephen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oyestephen »

I enjoyed your review. Well done
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Oh, I like this read. The idea of using different demons and ancient folklore is amazing. Suspense and Thriller always keeps the readers in an all time high moment throughout the read. The cover illustration is good, and I hope this read involves cult activities. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by msomigreat »

good review, I am not a good fun of paranormal stories but this seems like it is quite an interesting read. I will try it out
Alick Sandy
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting! This almost seems like the book world of X-Files! :) It sounds unique and fascinating despite the grammatical errors. I love the title too. It drew me in. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Maaan! I totally looked at this book at least 7 times before deciding to review another! Now I see that there's so much more to love than just the plot, too. I especially like the varieties of religious viewpoints, "the mix of folklores and mythologies from all over the world", and a 'gray' protagonist... Thanks so much for the review; now I'll have to buy this to read it, ha-ha!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This book makes me think of the show Supernatural. It sounds like an enjoyable read; maybe a little dark though. Nice review.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

Sounds like something I'd like to read. Thorough review
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This book really sounds interesting from your review. Great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”