Review by chelhack -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by chelhack -- Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by chelhack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pancake Money" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of this book, I could not understand why it was titled Pancake Money or why the story that Pollo to while in a drunken state at the beginning in regarding where the term pancake money originated. It was not until finishing the book that I came to the conclusion or would describe the term as:
    Trying to make something good out of a bad situation
    Or
      Covering up a bad situation with/or by doing something good.

With this being a fiction book according to its contents...
      PAIN...
        Is the one single thing that can change the behavior of any living being EVERY TIME,
          Is the primary motivator for human behavior,
            Is what makes people do things.
            In this book, you will read many times that if you hurt someone bad enough for a long enough time frame that it will cause some unintended consequences.

In this book Pancake Money by Finn Bell with three Catholic priests gruesomely murdered and just as many days the two protagonist detectives Pollo and Bobby Ress work frantically to try to figure out who is behind it and why. From the ways the priest was tortured as well as judging from the way their bodies were staged, it is believed to be killing with a warning message. This type of murder is usually done behind money and power and carried out by gangs or a group of people now has the media and the police focusing on the two gangs within the area. Yet, still, there are so many unanswered questions such as:
              What motive would anyone have for them to kill these men in such an awful fashion?
                Why a man/gang member break out of prison with only 12 weeks left until his release date? How does Tegere Servare tie into these killing taking place?
                  With the body count steadily rising and nothing more to go off of will these murders end up going unsolved?

I really enjoyed reading this book Pancake Money. From the very first page all the way to the last page it kept me completely interested throughout the entire book. All the twist and turns were executed brilliantly and the killer was not at all any of the people of which I thought it would be. The way that the story came full circle with the term pancake money as well as in the things that Ms. Bowlby taught during the class scenes was done to perfection. In my opinion, religion is somewhat of a touchy topic viewed to each in their own way. Yet, I applaud author Finn Bell for shedding light on the pedophile issues that have occurred or been brought to light fairly regularly within the Catholic religion along with the way it was approached within the writing of it. Including the families of the victims, police officers and even gang members was a great touch to this book, in my opinion, it made me fill close to the characters of the story.

The only thing that I would like to see or would like to have known is who the other person that was driving the getaway car at the beginning was. As well as if there was actually a second person in on staging the bodies of the priests.

Overall, I give Pancake Money a 4 out of 4 rating because it was an excellent read. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who enjoys reading. There is not one thing to mention that would give this book a lower rating in my opinion.

Pancake Money
                  View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chelhack's review? Post a comment saying so!
                  Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”