Official Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sundown" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nick Garvey, an NYC detective, and his partner, Tim Branson, receive an urgent call from their Captain, Kevin Gilmore, to abort their surveillance of a gang suspected of kidnapping. The captain commands them to meet with him at City Hall where the bodies of five men have been found discarded on its steps. On arrival, Gilmore proceeds to assign the case to Nick and his partner as he reveals that the bodies belong to a top government official and four of his Secret Service agents.

Meanwhile, the supreme director of the World Council, Jason Beck, has amassed absolute power and control over most of the world’s population by taking ownership of majority of the world’s oil. However, his plans for total world domination are threatened by President Lenora Allison, who plans to activate a grid system that captures energy from the sun (beamed down by a thirty-year-old Japanese satellite) and converts it to electricity to power up all of Manhattan. Jason knows that if the grid system is successful, it’ll undoubtedly undermine his power and influence. Thus, he plans to sabotage the president and the grid-lighting ceremony. As the threat towards President Allison becomes more imminent, Nick and his partner are assigned to protect her at all costs. Will Nick and Tim uncover who is behind the murders, and will they be able to successfully protect the president and the grid?

Sundown: Engineering Gives the Devil a Sunburn by Carl H. Mitchell is a superb detective thriller that has some elements of mystery, science fiction, and political conspiracies. The narrative hauls readers to the year 2057—a world brought to its knees by a corrupt world council, where population control is the norm, excessive shortages of oil threaten to bring everything to a standstill, and the lack of trust in law enforcement organizations has resulted in citizens creating their own groups known as ‘paracorps’ to protect themselves.

The author’s vivid and impeccable description of the characters’ dystopian reality felt frighteningly tangible. I loved how through one of the characters’ journals, I was given a glimpse into the past years’ events that propelled the characters’ world into its harsh existence.

The narrative itself offered a multilayered intricate plot that mainly featured Detective Nick Garvey at almost every turn. I especially appreciated how Nick is a multidimensional character and that despite his job as a detective and his attempts to piece the world back together, he still remained an individual with his own set of struggles, hopes, and uncertainties. The author also did a great job with the characterization of other main characters; they were not only believable but also memorable. Additionally, I found the level of character development among some of the key characters to be really satisfying.

An exciting element that spun a number of the unexpected twists and turns is that everything was not as it seemed including the characters. Even with that bit of knowledge, the revealed truths and events that occurred especially towards the end caught me by surprise. I enjoyed this aspect of the book because early on in the story, I got to know who some of the perpetrators were. It was refreshing that the narrative still retained elements of suspense and surprise.

One of my favorite subplots was that of the kidnapping gang. I found it very interesting because it contributed to the intensity and suspense in the narrative. I was happy to see one of the characters I was curious about from the gang crossover to the main plot. This gave me the chance to get to know and appreciate the character even more.

Overall, this was a captivating read, and I’m happy to recommend it to fans of detective novels. If you’re put off by narratives that feature a large cast of characters and numerous subplots, this may not be the book for you. I did notice one instance of needless repetition and few minor errors. Otherwise, this is an impressive first novel, and I look forward to seeing more books from Carl H. Mitchell. Without further ado, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Sundown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

An exciting element that spun a number of the unexpected twists and turns is that everything was not as it seemed including the characters. Even with that bit of knowledge, the revealed truths and events that occurred especially towards the end caught me by surprise. I enjoyed this aspect of the book because early on in the story, I got to know who some of the perpetrators were. It was refreshing that the narrative still retained elements of suspense and surprise.
I love the kind of twists and turns you described here. Sounds like a real page-turner--thanks for the recommendation!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds like a brilliant detective novel! Going on my TBR list and thank you for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A dystopian book with an intricate multilayered plot? That definitely sounds like a must read! The fact that it seems realistic and almost tangible makes it that much more intriguing. Thank you so much for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I find books with a large cast of characters hard to follow. While I enjoy a good mystery, there is just something about this book that doesn't quite interest me. Thank you for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems like a lot is going on, I like a good challenging read. The genre combination is good, and I am sure it will surprise a lot more. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Emna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emna »

It seems good detective story characterized by its subplot which reveals the relationship between characters. Dysutopian thoughts are revealing to show us a world full of political struggles and betrayals . Thanks for the review
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Sounds like a story with great character development and suspense. I love how far in the future it is set, though I suppose 30 years is not actually that far away...

Thanks for the review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A dystopian political thriller revolving around the work-load of a New York City detective sounds exiting. Starting the book with the murder of the Vice President and his agents is a nice touch. Vivid descriptions, intricate plot, and unexpected twists make a good read. That it was mostly well-edited is another plus. I don't care for political-themed books, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

The futuristic setting and political thriller sound interesting. I am curious about the twist at the end that you mentioned. Thanks for your review!
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Amazing review!
And I’m very intrigued by the book but the whole political conspiracy is making me wary of the book...
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm all for a good mystery, but I don't like how far in the future this one goes.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A detective thriller that has some elements of mystery, science fiction and political conspiracies that highlight corruption and struggles for power worldwide, looks very interesting for those who like police stories of action, crime, and suspense.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a mysterious thriller with great character development and suspense. I like that it is fast-paced and it takes place in the future where the world's well-being is at stake. Thanks for the wonderful review!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I really don't want to read about the vicious power struggle between President Lenora Allison and the Supreme Leader of the World Council, Jason Beck, a kidnapping gang, or any of the other side plots in this tome, so I'm giving this tale a pass.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”