Official Review: The Sex Offender

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Re: Official Review: The Sex Offender

Post by Abigail R »

I was so intrigued by your great summary of the book. Hopefully, the author can get an editor and then maybe I will check it out!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

Yikes, this sounds so complicated! The pen name stuff makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, I completely get why his character distanced you. Referring to women like that makes my skin crawl... even if that's how he was in reality, it doesn't make it a good way to portray him in book-form, especially when he's innocent of the crime that he's been accused of.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

abigailray1013 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:03 I was so intrigued by your great summary of the book. Hopefully, the author can get an editor and then maybe I will check it out!
Thank you, Abigail. :coffee3-smiley:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is possible that he only flirted with the girl because he knows that he is so good-looking. Then again it is the duty of the court to prove whether he is guilty or not. I am so sorry about the confusing and abrupt ending. Thank you for your honest review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

OrlaCarty wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:17 Yikes, this sounds so complicated! The pen name stuff makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, I completely get why his character distanced you. Referring to women like that makes my skin crawl... even if that's how he was in reality, it doesn't make it a good way to portray him in book-form, especially when he's innocent of the crime that he's been accused of.
Agreed! It's one thing when an author portrays a fictional character with such an inflated ego, but so much worse when the character is supposed to be based on him. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 11:46 It is possible that he only flirted with the girl because he knows that he is so good-looking. Then again it is the duty of the court to prove whether he is guilty or not. I am so sorry about the confusing and abrupt ending. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for your kind comment.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Thank you for this insightful interview. I love crime thrillers, but from what you have said about the protagonist and the editing issues revealed that this is one is really not for me. Sounds like he might have needed an objective ghostwriter to help distance himself from the story.

Keep up the great reviews, they really do help.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Misspelled words and errors on every page are unlikely to attract any kind of readership. Inconsistencies and oddities-intentional or not-are not looked upon favorably by readers. Thank you for a great review :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kcrum12 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 13:45 Thank you for this insightful interview. I love crime thrillers, but from what you have said about the protagonist and the editing issues revealed that this is one is really not for me. Sounds like he might have needed an objective ghostwriter to help distance himself from the story.

Keep up the great reviews, they really do help.

You're welcome. I agree. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SABRADLEY wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 00:01 Misspelled words and errors on every page are unlikely to attract any kind of readership. Inconsistencies and oddities-intentional or not-are not looked upon favorably by readers. Thank you for a great review :)
So true! Thank you.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise definitely sounds interesting, but when sensitive topics like sexual assault (especially one committed by an authority figure) are being discussed, one can't help but be highly sceptical of its veracity when the protagonist seems to think that he's God's gift to women. This book is definitely a huge turn-off for me; however, thank you for the lovely review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

gen_g wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:57 The premise definitely sounds interesting, but when sensitive topics like sexual assault (especially one committed by an authority figure) are being discussed, one can't help but be highly sceptical of its veracity when the protagonist seems to think that he's God's gift to women. This book is definitely a huge turn-off for me; however, thank you for the lovely review!
I couldn't agree more! Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm with all the other confused readers. All I really need to know is there are errors on every page. That is unacceptable. Mr. What's He Called needs to clear things up a bit, like who he wants to be.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 21:16 I'm with all the other confused readers. All I really need to know is there are errors on every page. That is unacceptable. Mr. What's He Called needs to clear things up a bit, like who he wants to be.
Yes, agree! Thanks for stopping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

If he talks that way to women, I wouldn't wonder why he was accused. This whole idea of a pen name that sounds too much like the name of the main character who seems to be the author himself is confusingly offensive to me. The accused/author/whoever-he-is may not be a sex offender, but he is definitely guilty of writing a bad book.

I admire your finesse in writing this review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”