Official Review: Burn One Down by Jeffrey A. Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Official Review: Burn One Down by Jeffrey A. Cooper

Post by starshipsaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Burn One Down" by Jeffrey A. Cooper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If there’s one thing I love more than a heist story, it’s a heist story where everything goes spectacularly, hilariously wrong. Enter Burn One Down, a contemporary crime caper of humorous proportions by Jeffrey A. Cooper. When small-time thief Jack Apple meets a beautiful woman named Diane Thomas who offers him a low-risk, six-figure gig to rob a medical marijuana dispensary, he gleefully thinks he has hit pay dirt. That’s because, as a result of California’s labyrinthine laws regulating the sale and use of medical marijuana, all of the state’s pot shops are technically operating illegally—which means at any one time, their vaults could be filled with thousands of dollars in cold hard cash. And if some of that money were to go missing, it’s not likely that anyone would be making a fuss to draw attention to themselves. In other words, it was the perfect job, one that couldn’t have come at a better time. With dreams of getting out of the game, Jack was looking forward to retiring with a sizable nest egg.

Unfortunately, Diane has other plans. Since the heist was her idea, she vehemently insists on tagging along to protect her own venture, much to Jack’s chagrin. And despite her promises to stay out of the way, feisty Diane just can’t help inserting herself into the operation, with a handgun and a trigger-happy finger. Before long, their carefully planned robbery devolves into a fully-fledged hostage situation amidst a sea of cannabis activists, civil rights protesters, angry mobsters, power-jockeying politicians, and a legion of rubberneckers and other opportunists looking to profit from the media circus. Who knew stealing from a bunch of potheads would be so complicated?

What follows within these pages is a rollicking comedy of errors that will provide sidesplitting laughs to readers following Jack and Diane’s escapades. Their criminal partnership is quite possibly the most dysfunctional one I’ve ever seen! Luckily for us though, their antics drive much of the humor in the story and creates a steady stream of witty, wisecracking dialogue. Murphy’s Law is also in full effect as one small misstep inevitably winds up snowballing into a series of escalating disasters, and soon Jack finds himself with his hands full attempting to put out multiple fires, with boisterous results.

In addition, there are a lot of other unique characters involved. As the plot’s scope broadens, we get to meet a whole host of vivid personalities including Jack and Diane’s uncooperative hostages, a police chief who is more concerned with delivering a snappy soundbite than with catching the bad guys, and even the competing reporters from the local news networks who are all scrambling to inject their own spin. But among the supporting cast, perhaps the most memorable to me was Jamal White, an ordinary citizen fallen on hard times who unwittingly gets caught up in the middle of the hubbub while simply trying to catch a bus home.

To wit, this book isn’t all just fun and games. At its heart, Burn One Down might be a wildly entertaining yarn about a heist gone wrong, but author Jeffrey A. Cooper also deftly traverses that fine line between satire and social commentary. There are deeper messages woven beneath the surface here about institutional racism, government corruption, marijuana legalization, political activism, and even media sensationalism. While many of these issues are portrayed in a comedic way, one does get the sense Cooper is attempting to draw attention to our society’s shortcomings by shining a light on certain injustices and absurdities.

Quite honestly, I would be hard-pressed to find anything too negative to say about this novel; I had so much fun with it! The introduction might have been a bit protracted, leading to a slower start, but once the story takes off, it becomes a fast-paced thrill ride that doesn’t stop. The book also appears carefully proofread and edited, for I did not come across any obvious errors while reading. Overall, this book was well-written and professionally presented, making it a joy to read.

For all these reasons and more, I rate Burn One Down by Jeffrey A. Cooper a hearty 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of quirky capers and laugh-out-loud humor will definitely want to pick this up, and I daresay readers seeking deeper meaning may also find much to appreciate in the book’s subtler themes.

Burn One Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like starshipsaga's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

OOh! A funny heist gone wrong that has at its heart a social commentary? That definitely sounds like quite the book. I'm glad you loved this one, and I'm in the mood for a laugh myself. So I'm definitely going to have to look at picking it up. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoyed your entertaining review. It sounds like the author used humor to highlight deeper issues in the story. Great review!
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

I can't wait to read this book. I admire authors who can combine genres of mystery and satire. I'm learning how to do that myself. You seem like you thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to read it. Awesome review!
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

Thank you everyone for checking out my review! I hope you'll enjoy it when you check it out - definitely be prepared to laugh!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

For me, the moral of the story is "A crook will never trust another crook". Thank you for your thorough review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

starshipsaga wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 17:40
Fans of quirky capers and laugh-out-loud humor will definitely want to pick this up, and I daresay readers seeking deeper meaning may also find much to appreciate in the book’s subtler themes.
If that isn't me, I don't know what is! This one jumps to the top of my TBR list with immediate effect. Superb review! :tiphat:
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

crediblereading2 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 21:59 For me, the moral of the story is "A crook will never trust another crook". Thank you for your thorough review.
Haha, exactly! You'd think Jack Apple should know better, right? Thank you for checking out my review! :D
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 01:17
starshipsaga wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 17:40
Fans of quirky capers and laugh-out-loud humor will definitely want to pick this up, and I daresay readers seeking deeper meaning may also find much to appreciate in the book’s subtler themes.
If that isn't me, I don't know what is! This one jumps to the top of my TBR list with immediate effect. Superb review! :tiphat:
Thanks! And this one did make me laugh - which isn't easy for a book to do! :D
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love picking a review completely at random and I'm glad I chose this one. Your review is very eloquently written and the book sounds like a lot of fun too!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Your review really makes this book come alive, and it does sound hilarious.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"Jokes have tinges of truth" was what at least one wise person once said. With all the societal issues and even ills this book delved on, humour is a safer way of navigating it through with usual tensions eased if not altogether unscathed. Thank you for your light yet witty and insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”